Thread: linux mint taken over chromium omnibox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question linux mint taken over chromium omnibox

Hi.

Ok, here's the situation. I have just installed Mint on to my laptop as it didn't like Precise. My main computer however is Precise (and all up to date). Whenever I search for anything on my main computer it is reverting to Linux Mint's custom google search. I've tried changing search engine and installing 'Chrome' browser as well as 'Chromium' browser.

I'm using Chromium browser and it's synced across all my computers.

I'm also going to ask on LM forum as I think it is a LM issue but I'm a little frustrated by this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

PS
    I've seen a few post where other users have said that we should accept it as it generates revenue for LM. I'm all for Mint generating revenue through advertising etc but not at the expense of usability.
    Last edited by kinsago; May 8th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: linux mint taken over chromium omnibox

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ooops, ta.

Anyway. Solved it.

For anyone else with this issue then this is the solution.

*Right-click omnibox and select 'Edit Search Engines'
    *Mine had a variety of google options so I just kept picking and trying until I found one that was just google and not LM

Beans

Solved would be a stretch... more like temporarily fixed.
    It syncs across Chrome in general thus all my devices... days will go by then WHOOPS it's reverted back.

I'll be on my Chromebook even and the default omnibox will switch to the awful Mint search string.

It blows my mind they would have the balls to do this. It's terrible and needs to be removed.

You're hijacking my Chrome. Remove it.
    Last edited by d1gw33d; December 15th, 2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Beans

I have the same problem to!

Beans

Linux Mint's use of Google Custom Search was discontinued three releases back. Linux Mint 12 came with DuckDuckGo as default search engine, and Linux Mint 13 and 14 came with Yahoo! as default search engine.

And I believe only extensions and search engine plugins for Firefox are preloaded on Linux Mint, none for Chrome/Chromium. Which release of Linux Mint are you using, and what is the search string that gets synchronized to your other devices?

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Mint messes with browser search engines, both Chrome* and Firefox. It modifies profiles to use Yahoo search instead of Google, that includes any existing profiles that you share (even in Windows). If you select Google, you lose search suggestions. The fix is simple, I found it in Mint forums, it involves replacing some files and uninstalling some addons.