Thread: Issue with running Ubuntu on an Patriot Memory XT Rage and an embedded processor

Beans

Issue with running Ubuntu on an Patriot Memory XT Rage and an embedded processor

Hi,

I am working on an interesting project with an embedded processor and 32GB and 64GB Patriot Memory XT Rage flash drives.
    I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on both of these drives and have tested them separately. I bought these because I saw they have fast read and write speeds.

I have an embedded processor with a duo core I7 configuration running off battery power. Ubuntu 12.04 loads up fine and runs fine but every once in a while I have problems when booting up. The embedded system manufacturers logo will freeze after attempting to boot up. As soon as I remove the Patriot flash drive it then unfreezes and I can go into BIOS settings or on to the screen that says "no operating system found".
    If I remove the Patriot flash drive and put it in my netbook running ubuntu, I can read the contents of the drive and then eject it and the embedded processor boots it up perfectly.

I was told by the embedded processor manufacturer that maybe the drive is doing some weird type of latch operation. I can seem to unlatch it with my netbook which is really weird.

I have installed Ubuntu after formatting the drive to ext2 and with no swap partition enabled. I did this using an Ubuntu Live CD and with gparted.
    Whenever I am finished running the embedded processor with ubuntu, i use the shutdown button to power down, or if I am at the terminal, I will use "sudo shutdown -h now". Is there any obvious reason I may be observing the above behaviors?

This happens every few days or so and every single time I have the freeze issue on boot, I remove the Patriot drive and just read the drive contents with my netbook to "unlatch" it. Then when I go to boot the embedded processor, it works right away. Unfortunately this is super annoying because the embedded processor and Patriot drive go inside sealed enclosures and accessing them takes a while. I have seen this issue with both the 32GB and 64GB drives.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Issue with running Ubuntu on an Patriot Memory XT Rage and an embedded processor

I am having the same problem with two of my Patriot flash drives with linux ubuntu 12.04. In addition, my Patriot flash drives won't even boot without any OS on them. If I have a freshly formatted drive in my system when it boots, it freezes on both my Acer and HP laptops, and using both of my 32GB flash drives, one USB 2.0 the other 3.0.

Very frustrated...

Beans

Re: Issue with running Ubuntu on an Patriot Memory XT Rage and an embedded processor

Wow at least there is someone else out there with the same problem so we can try and help each other figure it out. This is very useful because I am using an embedded processor that is made by a small company so the support from them requires a bit of back and forth emails and trial and error tests.

I had suspected maybe when the battery supply is getting low on my embedded processor that the Patriot Memory "latches". Last night I let the XT Rage 64GB run Ubuntu on the embedded processor until the batter drained fully. I spent today letting the battery recharge and the last couple of hours I've been testing Ubuntu again. It hasn't given me that freeze boot up issue. In my case I seemed to only see if every few days or so which is weird. I'm trying to shutdown different ways (cut power off, use sudo shutdown -h now command and using the GNOME desktop shutdown button). So far I can't get the freeze boot up issue to replicate at will.

I used my netbook to install ubunto onto the 64GB XT Rage. With a spare 4GB USB drive I made a bootable "Ubuntu LIVE CD" . I installed Ubuntu onto the 64GB XT Rage after I created an ext2 partition with gparted. I did not add a swap partition. Then I connected the 64GB XT Rage to my embedded processor system.

Are you planning to use ext2 for formatting the drive? I had used that because it is supposed to extend life of a USB drive when Ubuntu is installed on it.

Also,

I have tried this with a couple of 32GB XT Rage drives and some 64GB XT Rage drives. I did not have the boot freeze issue with any of those drives after initially installing Ubuntu on them. I seemed to have that freeze only after a few days of testing them and it seemed random to me. I could always "unlatch" them by plugging them into my netbook running ubuntu and merely just looking at the drive contents and then ejecting. Afterwards I could put it in the embedded processor's usb port and it would boot right up perfectly.