Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome window list dual monitor problem can't display windows from other screen

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Gnome window list dual monitor problem can't display windows from other screen

Hello,

I have a weird problem that I did not have in Gutsy. I have my dual monitors working and correctly configured in the position that I want, and I think they are configured the same way that I used to configure them, though I don't quite remember, but window lists are being a big hassle.

I have 2 panels--1 on each screen
    Only the one on the right screen has a window list that shows what programs are open
    Unfortunately, I have this weird problem that it won't show that it knows a window is open unless that window is currently positioned on its screen. SO if I say have calculator open on screen 1 the window list that is on screen 2 won't show it. If I drag the calculator and move it over to screen 2, then it will appear in the window list.

Any ideas?

Nvidia and I'll post xorg info if people feel it is relevant, but I'm not sure it is right now. (Using Twinview right now, going to mess around and see if something else helps)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Gnome window list dual monitor problem can't display windows from other screen

Did this get solved?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Gnome window list dual monitor problem can't display windows from other screen

I have this issue as well; whether I have any panels on the secondary screen or not makes no difference. I added a panel to the secondary screen, and added a Window List item to that panel. It is just empty; it doesn't show windows from either screen. So the only way I can get windows on the secondary screen to show up in a Window List is to configure that Window List to "Show windows from all workspaces", which is not what I want.

I'm running Intrepid.

Beans

intrepid/32bit/metacity/Gnome 2.24.1

The same issue here.

Looks like an old bug which pop up again
    I found in the redhat bug tracker:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=138874

regards!

sven

Beans

This is such an annoying bug.
    Has anyone found a workaround for this?

Beans

I was able to get it to work by
      • Add a panel to secondary screen
      • add a window selector to the new panel
      • drag the icon that shows left of the window selector to the right side of the selector

After doing this the applications on the secondary screen appear on the panel on that screen & applications on the primary screen show on that panel.

Beans

Hi guys. I've had the same problem and I have been searching for an answer for days. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 and I believe I do have a solution. At least it works for me .

1. Using the System->Preferences->Screen Resolution, adjust the monitors so that their bottoms are aligned. I used to align their tops but apparently thats the problem.
    2. If you don't have a panel in the second monitor add one.
    3. Move the new panel to the bottom of the second monitor.
    4. Add a "Window List" to this panel and Voila! you'll have your windows in your second monitor only.

That's the solution for me. I hope it works for you as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I was having this issue and tried those things recommended above. The thing that finally worked for me was right clicking on the empty window list on my second monitor, choosing preferences from the popup menu and then in the preferences I chose "show windows from all workspaces"

I only have one workspace on my setup and I though this would result in windows from both screens showing on my panel on the second monitor but it did not. Only the windows from monitor 2 were listed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I *had* this working the way I wanted. That is, I have my primary (left) monitor with the panels and my secondary (right) monitor with no panels. My window list showed all windows from both monitors of the current workspace. However, I just moved my window list and it disappeared (crashed?) so I re-added it. Now it's only showing windows on my primary monitor.

If I move the panel to the secondary monitor, it only shows those windows on that monitor. Moving it back changes the window list back to the windows on the primary monitor. I'll try a couple of the fixes here and will report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah.... no.... nothing's working for me. Using nvidia graphics drivers and TwinView, all configured using nvidia-settings. All on an up-to-date version of Intrepid 64. If any one has any ideas, please share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast