Thread: Rhythmbox disappears; can't shut it off

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Rhythmbox disappears; can't shut it off

When I open Rhythmbox to play music in Unity Ubuntu 12.10 there are certain times I cannot shut it off. It continues to play even though the application is not shown on the left side and there is no indicator applet at top. I have to search for the app all over again and then pause it I guess. Too much work.
    Sometimes I will play something by accident and I cannot quickly shut it off. Awful when at school. The only thing I could do was hold the power button and shut the damn thing off.

I suppose its a Unity problem. Just using the simple text editor is painful as well. It disappears when I am doing something else and I have to bob down to the bottom waiting for the ridiculous icons to unravel.
    Anyone know how to fix this other than going to XFCE.

Beans

Re: Rhythmbox disappears; can't shut it off

You probably just turned off the display. Next time shut it off from the menu. Music > Quit.

And you never have to shut off the computer just to terminate an application. In the worst case, terminate it with the System Monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by thonuz View Post
    When I open Rhythmbox to play music in Unity Ubuntu 12.10 there are certain times I cannot shut it off. It continues to play even though the application is not shown on the left side and there is no indicator applet at top. I have to search for the app all over again and then pause it I guess. Too much work.
    Sometimes I will play something by accident and I cannot quickly shut it off. Awful when at school. The only thing I could do was hold the power button and shut the damn thing off.

I suppose its a Unity problem. Just using the simple text editor is painful as well. It disappears when I am doing something else and I have to bob down to the bottom waiting for the ridiculous icons to unravel.
    Anyone know how to fix this other than going to XFCE.
    Press on your speaker icon, you'll find it there, i.e. in the sound menu.
    Last edited by kostkon; November 6th, 2012 at 01:50 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Press on your speaker icon, you'll find it there, i.e. in the sound menu.
    I don't think so. You can turn the sound down, but it's still playing.

Some of these sound apps are kind of annoying. It turns out Banshee works the same way. You have to pause or halt play before you close the player. If you forget, then just open the player again and halt or pause play, and then close the player.