Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to install programs

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how to install programs

Most programs that what come in a zip or tarball usually have a "readme" file of some sort describing how to install them. A lot of these are source code and require some additional packages be installed first. Without a specific example, it would be difficult to give you meaningful instructions.

As far as Windows disks go, Ubuntu isn't Windows and as such does not used the same internal interfaces (libraries, GUI development, etc.) as most Windows programs. A .bat, .com or .exe file will not run or work in Linux. If you have specific Windows applications that you MUST have that you have not found a Linux equivalent for, you can try installing the wine package and perhaps playonlinux (a front end for installation). Wine tries to provide a means to run a Windows program. By far, not all will run. Unless something has changed you also can't use USB devices (outside of keyboard, mouse and maybe your printer). USB flash drives, wireless adapters, etc., will not be accessable.

Depending on the specifications of your PC you may also be able to install something like VirtualBox (free, but get the download from Oracle's site) and run Windows in a virtual machine in Linux. This will have access to your devices and wireless. You'll need some sort of Windows installation disk to install Windows as a virtual machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    USB flash drives, wireless adapters, etc., will not be accessable.
    Really? Flash drives have always been plug-and-play for me.

Depending on the specifications of your PC you may also be able to install something like VirtualBox (free, but get the download from Oracle's site)
    Is there something wrong with the version in the repositories?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I don't know if it's still true, especially with Oracle having bought Sun and doing their own thing now, but it at least *used* to be that the version in the repositories was the open user version, but you had to go to Sun (now Oracle) to get the version of VirtualBox that included USB support.

For Wine, it always used to be a restriction that USB devices wouldn't work. It had been that way for years (excluding keyboards, mice and some printers) but I never personally tried a flash drive with it just simply because I didn't need to. I dumped wine in favor of VirtualBox and Windows in a VM years ago - much more flexible and all Windows programs will run without restrictions. Yes, there is a trade off if you run games. I don't.

So, the last I knew, yes there were differences. If a USB flash drive now works in Wine it is news to me - being a USB device - and that USB devices weren't supported in Wine. Same with VirtualBox. Perhaps the version now in the repositories is now what used to be called the peul (I might have a letter swapped there) version, and that version you always had to download from Sun/Oracle. The last I checked Oracle's site it appeared they only had 1 version there now. Perhaps that is what is included now in the repositories - if so, it's new since Oracle took over Sun.

So perhaps things have changed. These things at least used to be, not that long ago, facts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I don't know if it's still true, especially with Oracle having bought Sun and doing their own thing now, but it at least *used* to be that the version in the repositories was the open user version, but you had to go to Sun (now Oracle) to get the version of VirtualBox that included USB support.
    Ah, yes. It looks like the repository version requires that an Extension Pack be installed from the Oracle website to use USB 2.0. (The USB 2.0 option is present in the settings, but when you click it, it gives you a message about installing the Extension Pack.)

For Wine, it always used to be a restriction that USB devices wouldn't work.
    Wow, I should probably start drinking my coffee before I start posting. When I read your first comment about USB devices, I didn't catch that you were talking about their (not) working with Wine. Don't know why that wasn't obvious to me.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    ....Wow, I should probably start drinking my coffee before I start posting. When I read your first comment about USB devices, I didn't catch that you were talking about their (not) working with Wine.
    I love the smell of coffee but for some reason hate the taste - but I get the same way if I don't have my diet coke. Oh heck, who am I fooling - it's my darn age! Things don't seem to swing around in the noggin like they used to!

Have a good one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12