Thread: 12.10 problems

Beans

12.10 problems

I cannot imagine the pain of win8 if it is supposed to be worse than 12.10. Honestly the quality of quantal is something that would be expected from a beta.

#1 installing nvidia binary drivers via software sources = fails silently and desktop does not show up anymore after reboot.
    link

#2 i cannot access grub anymore, i have no grub menu. A guick aubergine fill from bottom to top is a nice feature though for this major 2.0 update EDIT: hacking on the grub config solved this, see later posts.

#3 the web apps in launcher (ubuntu one music, amazon) as first class citizens only work for firefox as default browser. With chromium they open up as separate chromium launcher icons.

#4 the log viewer does nothing when launched from the dash. If launched from command line the timestamp color is same as the background color and cannot be changed.
    link

#5 The disk utility has lost much functionality, most notably all md raid capability and disk benchmarking feature. Also the UI design has regressed in my opinion. The text inside the boxes that show contents of disks is sucjh color compared to background it is next to impossible to distinguish if not selecting it.

#6 If disk encryption is chosen at install time, then the stock nouveau driver setup at boot result on my computer in monitor going to "no signal" and it only wakes to ask for decryption password after pressing any key. This is fixed once the binary driver is successfully installed.

#8 The problem with gstreamer, present also in 12.04, that prevents most MP4 files from playing is still not fixed, even though the fix has been available for quite some time upstream.
    link

#9 Spring RTS, the most popular open source RTS, included in ubuntu repositories, still does not and never has worked correctly with unity. When window is maximized the titlebar is not removed as with all other windows. The game is not at fault since the same feature as a plugin for gnome-shell works flawlessly.
    link

These are the problems i have encountered that i can remember off the bat. I have read about many more issues, especially related to graphics and i won't even mention the issues with llvm if no 3d acceleration is found.

ps. my setup is as ordinary as it gets: c2d e8500 / gts250 / asus p5q motherboard and dvi monitor.

Last edited by varikonniemi; October 19th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Avoid the pain of Windows 8, use Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    I cannot imagine the pain of win8 if it is supposed to be worse than 12.10. Honestly the quality of quantal is something that would be expected from a beta.
    Sorry to hear that you're having a bad experience. Two very quick comments about some of what you said:

#2 i cannot access grub anymore, i have no grub menu. A guick aubergine fill from bottom to top is a nice feature though for this major 2.0 update
    Is Ubuntu 12.10 the only OS you have on your drive?
    Last edited by jrog; October 19th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    Sorry to hear that you're having a bad experience. Two very quick comments about some of what you said:

Is Ubuntu 12.10 the only OS you have on your drive?

Please consider stating this differently.

You are correct, i used an inappropriate word, i will edit it out.

Yes, Ubuntu is the only OS

ps. one bug i forgot to mention: when the 12.10 installer is searching for available disks to install to, it may randomly hang. This is worked around by just closing the setup and after falling to live desktop launching it again. For me it said that it had found a mounted volume that must be unmounted or it will be ignored, so it might be related to my phones sd card that automatically might have got mounted. This hang during install affected at least two other users from what i have been following #ubuntu on irc.
    Last edited by varikonniemi; October 19th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You are correct, i used an inappropriate word, i will edit it out.
    Thanks for that! I have also edited my own post to remove the quote of your original.

Yes, Ubuntu is the only OS
    In this case, you are experiencing the default behavior of GRUB 2, which is to show no menu if there is only one OS detected (see here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...splay_Behavior). There are a couple of ways you should be able to access the menu:

1. Hold down the SHIFT key very early in the boot process, until the menu displays. Some people have reported that this must be the right SHIFT key.

2. If that doesn't work for some reason, you may be able to get the menu to display by hitting ESC early in the boot process. But I'm not sure about this.

3. Finally, you can make changes to /etc/default/grub so that it will always display the menu (or will always allow you to press a key to display it). There are various options you can set to configure this to your liking, described here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...iguring_GRUB_2.

If you don't want to read through all of that, here is one basic way that should make it always display the menu for a few seconds: (1) edit /etc/default/grub (you need to do this using sudo/gksudo/kdesu/etc.) and put a '#' (without the quotes) before the line that starts "GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=" (again, without quotes), then find the line that begins "GRUB_TIMEOUT=" (without quotes) and make sure that there is a positive number after the '='; the positive number corresponds to the number of seconds that you want the menu to be displayed; (2) save and close /etc/default/grub, then type (without quotes) 'sudo update-grub'; (3) reboot.

I hope that solves at least one of your problems!
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

I have tried the pressing shift to get to grub. I even tried the right one. Esc does not work either, it will show linux kernel initialization texts during boot.

I will look into stabbing the GRUB config files and see what happens...
    Last edited by varikonniemi; October 19th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have tried the pressing shift to get to grub. I even tried the right one. Esc does not work either, it will show linux kernel initialization texts during boot.

I will look into stabbing the GRUB config files and see what happens...
    To be honest, the SHIFT and ESC methods have never worked for me, either. The documentation claims that they should, though, so this might be another bug. Editing /etc/default/grub has worked for me, though, and it should work for you, too (again, as long as you run 'sudo update-grub' after editing the file -- I sometimes forget that step!).

Beans

Your method left me unable to boot. It showed the menu, but when i selected ubuntu it first continued normally, then the gpu fan goes quiet when binary driver loads, then suddenly it drops to text mode and just freezes there with some [OK] entries in screen and the fan got louder = gfx driver probably crashed.

I edited the start params and removed quiet splash from there, and now behold this machine booted :ihavenoideawhatimdoing:

EDIT: I got it working! Instead of commenting the line GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT, it should contain the value of for how many seconds grub accepts a keypress to show menu.
    Last edited by varikonniemi; October 19th, 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Your method left me unable to boot. It showed the menu, but when i selected ubuntu it first continued normally, then the gpu fan goes quiet when binary driver loads, then suddenly it drops to text mode and just freezes there with some [OK] entries in screen and the fan got louder = gfx driver probably crashed.

I edited the start params and removed quiet splash from there, and now behold this machine booted :ihavenoideawhatimdoing:

EDIT: I got it working! Instead of commenting the line GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT, it should contain the value of for how many seconds grub accepts a keypress to show menu.
    Interesting. The first thing that happened should not have happened. I only told you to do essentially what it says to do in the official Ubuntu docs (and what I believe I have done in the past). I may have to play around with this later and perhaps edit the Wiki if it is giving erroneous instructions.

Anyway, glad you ultimately got that part working! Thanks for explaining what you did, too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: 12.10 problems

I've split these posts off into a thread of their own, as they are taking away from the discussion going on in the thread they were in.

These are more support questions, than anything else.