Thread: hardware drivers

Beans

Red face hardware drivers

Just installed ubuntu on my old acer aspire 5515 laptop for testdriving my first shackel free OS.

sofar so good....looks promising, but running really reaally sluggish compared to windows, its a fresh install and assuming i need drivers.

I go to system settings>hardware>addition driver..... it does a search then says "no proprietary drivers are in use on this system"

any ideas on where to go from here?

On windows I would just get on the net and DL my drivers, is it the same process here or....??

thanks

Beans

Re: hardware drivers

Hello there and welcome to the party!

Most hardware drivers are contained in the Linux kernel as modules, so the downloading of such things is not usually required (some hardware is an exception to this rule of thumb).

Can you give some specs info regarding the hardware and what things you may want to install drivers for?

Cheers

Beans

hmmm.... the systems running really laggy, even typing it takes a second or two for the characters to show up, same laggyness opening folders or anything.

Figured i was in need of a graphics driver since it acts like how windows does on a fresh install with no graphics driver, but guess not

also no sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by deezdrama View Post
    hmmm.... the systems running really laggy, even typing it takes a second or two for the characters to show up, same laggyness opening folders or anything.

Figured i was in need of a graphics driver since it acts like how windows does on a fresh install with no graphics driver, but guess not

also no sound
    Can you post the full system specs and the version of ubuntu you installed.

Also is this a full install to internal hard disk? Or is it a Wubi install in windows or other?

Beans

Well we cant be sure of what (if any) drivers or optimization that you may need without knowing what the hardware specs are. If you have old hardware then it could just be a general struggle to run up to date desktop environements etc. There is normally a way of speeding up (changing DE etc) but its best to rule out a bug or other issue first.

Post up some specs and we will see what can be done.

As for the sound (annoyingly) its normally just default that it starts up with the sound muted. Try unmuting it from your sound icon and if that doesnt work open up a terminal and type "alsamixer" and see if anything needs unmuting/turning up from there. If in doubt post a screenshot.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Seems like you made the classic error of installing the latest release of Ubuntu. If you install Ubuntu on an old computer you need a system that's just as old. Ubuntu 12.04 wont run perfectly on a ten year old hardware.

If at all possible you need to get hold on some older versions of Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu testing release

Ubuntu User # 15479
    Linux User # 448500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

According to my Google search, that laptop is using an ATI X1200 video chipset -- and ATI dropped Linux driver support for that chipset years ago.

Ubuntu installed the default Radeon drivers for that chipset -- which are the best available now.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyfj View Post
    Seems like you made the classic error of installing the latest release of Ubuntu. If you install Ubuntu on an old computer you need a system that's just as old. Ubuntu 12.04 wont run perfectly on a ten year old hardware.

If at all possible you need to get hold on some older versions of Ubuntu.
    Being I'm also in the this boat could you supply links to said older version of Ubuntu? (Please?)
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
    Being I'm also in the this boat could you supply links to said older version of Ubuntu? (Please?)
    Please start a new thread stating your problem and your system specs. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
    If you have the same ATI video chipset as the original poster, there is really nothing useful you can do. ATI (now AMD) dropped Linux driver support for that chipset back when Ubuntu 9.04 came out -- three years ago! That Ubuntu version has expired and has not been supported for some time.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.