Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob question. 12.04 alongside Xp Ok?

Beans

Noob question. 12.04 alongside Xp Ok?

Hey guys,

Well i got an older HP laptop(1.60Ghz single core, 512mb ram) w/ a fresh install of xp on it. As far as i can tell it only has a single partition. Under my computer it only lists 1 drive, C: w/ 16.4GB used out of 80gb.

I already have the ISO burn to a disk and it works fine w/ the "try ubuntu" feature.

When i dual boot on this i would select "Install alongside XP" correct? (confused w/ the something else selection)

Is there anything else i need to do prior to install?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Noob question. 12.04 alongside Xp Ok?

Yeah you would click "install alongside xp" then you have to decided how much space it'd recommend a minimum of 10gb but 25-30gb would probably be optimal
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Epodx64 View Post
    Yeah you would click "install alongside xp" then you have to decided how much space it'd recommend a minimum of 10gb but 25-30gb would probably be optimal
    Yep, that works. If you find ubuntu a little too heavy for that machine, give xubuntu a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi NotSure23.

Unlike Windows Vista and Windows 7, XP does not have partition tools (installed by default). If you are committed to change the partitions on Windows, you would have to use a 3rd party tool like Norton Partition Magic.

On the other hand, you can do it using 'gparted' available on the Ubuntu Live CD.

In that case, please take this precaution steps before attempting it (in XP):
    • Backup your files.
    • Do a system clean (remove temps files)
    • Defrag your disk at least a couple of times.
    Hope that helps, and let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, the option to automatically install alongside Windows should work fine. The "Something Else" option would give you some more advanced options, like setting up extra partitions for certain parts of your Ubuntu system, but for what you want, none of that is really necessary.

And as jerrys pointed out, the specs you gave are rock-bottom for Ubuntu. If I were you, I'd create a Live CD of Xubuntu and test it out, as well, before installing one or the other.

Lubuntu is even more lightweight than Xubuntu, but you probably won't need to go that far (although for the price of a CD and a little time, you could test it out, too).

Both Xubuntu and Lubuntu are official derivitaves of Ubuntu. They're the same base (under-the-hood) system with different Desktop Environments and default Applications installed. In any one of them, the DEs and Applications of the others can be installed and used.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Ok great. I plan on upgrading the ram since it supports up to 2gb. This laptop is just for fun and isn't my main comp, i just want to learn Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NotSure23 View Post
    Ok great. I plan on upgrading the ram since it supports up to 2gb. This laptop is just for fun and isn't my main comp, i just want to learn Ubuntu.
    Great! Have fun. The ram should help. I'm not sure that single-core will be up to snuff, but if you're doing this for fun, what do you have to lose?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Ok, well you were right its too old i guess. I restarted and the message came up saying "unable to boot use kernel that will work w/ CPU"

So I also have a my fiance old HP vista laptop AMD dual core w/ 3gb of ram, (she a OSX user now) that was the original comp that i tested 12.04 on to make sure i burnt it correctly. I was just going to try Ubuntu on the oldest laptop first.

This one does have two partitions HP recovery 9.99gb (D) and (C) 222.9 total w/ 100gb used.

Would all of the above still apply?

Put disk in and click "Install alongside Vista" and then just use the slider to give Ubuntu 30gb?

Beans
    Hidden!

With "Vista" I suggest that you create a partition with a windows partitioner. Vista has been known to get screwed up when using gparted (the linux partitioner).

Beans

ok so follow this, i would shrink the C drive and where it says "enter amount of space to shrink" i would enter 30000 for roughly 30gb.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Now i would have a separate partition for Ubuntu correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast