View Poll Results: So, are you dissapointed by dapper?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, totaly dissapointed

6 5.08%
  • A bit dissapointed at beginning

28 23.73%
  • Definitly not, dapper rocks solid

84 71.19%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So are you really dissapointed by dapper?

Beans

So are you really dissapointed by dapper?

After reading this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205260 , i'd like to know the real amount of people who are dissapointed by dapper.
    We read a lot of things about that, but what you really think all?

EDIT: some explanation about A bit dissapointed at beginning: it's for the people who expected A LOT for dapper, and who finally don't think it's much better than breezy
    Last edited by givré; June 29th, 2006 at 03:47 PM.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: So are you really dissapointed by dapper?

Not disappointed at all. After working with several distros that were either a pain to configure or overly bloated, I find that I'm perfectly happy with Dapper. I just wanted a distribution where everything works with a minimum of configuration, and I got one. So...no disappointment here.

Beans

Not disappointed, but I'm glad I discoverd MEPIS is much better IMO.
    Ubuntu fanboy ~ Do yourself a favor and get a DS Lite. It has the best lineup of games this 30 year gamer has ever seen.

Beans
    Hidden!

Not disappointed. dapper is solid on the hardware i run.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Hidden!

it's hard for me to tell. i installed breezy on my old desktop, when i was a linux newb, and i bought a laptop from system76 which came with dapper installed for me. my laptop rocks so much more, but that might be just as due to it being a new machine and someone else doing the installation. the new default theme is much prettier than the old one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Talking Re: So are you really dissapointed by dapper?

Ubuntu never dissapoints me. That's why it is my GNU/Linux of choice and primary OS for almost a year.
    Am I cruel because I'm human or am I human because I'm cruel?

Beans

I voted rock solid. I was a bit disapointed at first because I was having issues here and there. But that install had been going long before dapper was stable. It also was subject to a lot of experimentation on my part to get wireless and 3d accel going.

I reinstalled a few days ago and it cleared up all issues I'd been having. I'm more than happy with it and can't seem to get enough. When you realize how much freedom there is to customize the look and functionality of the OS, you begin to realize how restrictive Windows is. I still like XP... but I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to boot it up.
    Knowledge exists to be imparted.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans
    Hidden!

No I don't understand the people who say dapper is "broken" To me breezy was alot worse. It crashed on me constantly and was annoying as hell but now with dapper everything "just works" works smoothly as h%##!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Dapper Drake is running happily on 3 machines here.

Beans

I voted "A bit disappointed in the beginning" but I have to clarify.
    1. My first disappointment was the painful process of updating from Breezy to Dapper. This being my first distro and first dist-upgrade experience, I was expecting a lot because of some scattered statements that Linux (in general, not specifically Ubuntu) is easier to upgrade. Anyway, that disappointment passed away when I decided to make a fresh install.
    2. My second disappointment came when the updates to the kernel were made available. It just doesn't work. No matter what solution I tried, I couldn't get a fully functional 2.6.15-25 kernel. That worst part is that it seems that I'm the only one who experienced that problem, and still didn't get it solved. I'm happy that others got their problems fixed, but that doesn't really do anything for my own problem. Of course, I could just run the older 2.6.15-23 kernel, but my system will be less secure because of that.

But the disappointments end there. In terms of a KDE distro, Dapper is, in many ways, much better and faster than Breezy. Of course, having KDE 3.5.3 (Breezy is stuck with KDE 3.5.2) also helps a lot. However, I'm still in search of the distro that will really suite me. And MEPIS is next in line to be tested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast