Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using XP as I speak, it aint all that anymore?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Using XP as I speak, it aint all that anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89
    As I said above, I didn't, I just went straight to Zonealarm It was the first thing I installed. Then it was to be firefox. Anyway, I'm not got going to fuss about it, it was a few years ago now. Also, I bet you have XPSP2, as its firewall is on by default.

None of these is needed in Linux.
    I have SP2, but with firewall turned off. Agreed none of this is needed on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89
    As I said above, I didn't, I just went straight to Zonealarm It was the first thing I installed. Then it was to be firefox. Anyway, I'm not got going to fuss about it, it was a few years ago now. Also, I bet you have XPSP2, as its firewall is on by default..
    I have SP2 but firewall turned off. I don't like it.
    However, I found I have a hardware router which somehow acts as a firewall, so that could be the reason why no attacks yet.

Defragmenting every night is not required in XP. In fact, you are probably shortening the life of your harddisk. Once every month should be enough.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan
    However, I found I have a hardware router which somehow acts as a firewall, so that could be the reason why no attacks yet.
    Yes, that will be it, I had a boring old winmodem at the time.
    A Fedora user

Beans

You have to explain something to me. You have only used windows for 2 days and made it crashing? You should ask yourself what's the problem in that case before blaming windows.

I'm been running it (wnidows xp) for a solid 2 months, and it never crashed..

Yes I know it's not as stable as linux, but if you don't use it like an idiot.. it IS stable. Yahoo! toolbars don't install themselves "alone", you have to click 'yes' somewhere..

And no I'm not pro-windows, I'm using it because I need to, for my work (Microsoft Office, everyone at work uses it.), and for my beloved games.

Yes Ubuntu is a nice distribution, but some people don't realize Linux existed before, and act as they know everything, , as windows was the stupidest thing ever invented, while they're actually relying on it...

Sorry if I offended you, but that's what was sitting in my head.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oxEz
    Yes I know it's not as stable as linux, but if you don't use it like an idiot.. it IS stable. Yahoo! toolbars don't install themselves "alone", you have to click 'yes' somewhere..

Thanks.
    Well, toolbars can install on there own I believe, if your security is set too low. But I used my last installation of XP for over a year without virus protection and without spyware protection and the internet connection was always on. The only protection it had was that it was behind an internet router. I download stuff constantly if I want to try it. I usually try to make sure it is from a reputable source. I may have gotten lucky, but the only time Windows crashed on me was when I was just trying to do too much at once. Like when I had 3 or 4 .NET solutions up, multiple IE windows, and MS_Office stuff at the same time. And that happened infrequently. The only reason I am switching completely to Linux is the cost factor. It is too hard to do anything in XP without either pirating or spending an arm and a leg. It feels nice not to be a crook anymore That and Linux is fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by oxEz
    And no I'm not pro-windows, I'm using it because I need to, for my work (Microsoft Office, everyone at work uses it.), and for my beloved games.
    There is Crossover you know and it works perfectly for Office 2000 at least. Personally I have a Linux VM on my Windows boot if I desperately have to do any serious work there, it can be suspended so I don't have to boot twice and it uses Ubuntu-Server with Fluxbox and yes I use Crossover and install Office in the VM rather than in XP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123