Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC and Linux and Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: PC and Linux and Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Technically, PC shouldn't be used to describe a computer with Windows on it. You own the hardware-not the operating system. You just pay Microsoft to be allowed to use their products.
    Same thing goes for Mac.
    The only true PC is one running Linux-that you truly own, as you don't have to pay for it, and there are no licensing issues.
    Good point!

As someone mentioned Youtube clip... <-- Annoying!
    This is my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

PC (Personal Computer: not professional computer, nor industry computer, not science computer etc.) as word define anythings which is considered

...hum...

... computer...

hum...

of personal kind. A "personal computer" basically.

Now, we have Apple that call their computer for personal use "Mac", and people think that's something different from a personal computer for real!
    It's not about PC, Mac and Linux(?)... but only Personal Computer with different OS. The mess with PC and Mac is due only to Apple's skill to sell....

...words
    Last edited by alexan; August 5th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    PC (Personal Computer: not professional computer, nor industry computer, not science computer etc.) as word define anythings which is considered

...hum...

... computer...

hum...

of personal kind. A "personal computer" basically.

Now, we have Apple that call their computer for personal use "Mac", and people think that's something different from a personal computer for real!
    It's not about PC, Mac and Linux(?)... but only Personal Computer with different OS. The mess with PC and Mac is due only to Apple's skill to sell....

...words
    +1
    They are PC,s
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+2

As it is now. if a person would like to buy a PC, s/he could get a PC without Windows when s/he wanted it, or s/he could get a PC with Windows when s/he didn't.

We do have laws and standards for pretty much anything these days, why not for this?

If Linux were owned by a company, and lots of websites claimed their products worked on a PC. And with Linux running on (among else) a PC... I could imagine this company could sue them. Soo, (with yourself owning your own "Linux-copy") does that means the people could sue the websites that claim they got software working on PC's?

If this lingo were to be change, where does one start?
    This is my signature

Beans

Technically, a Personal Computer can be a computer running Windows, Mac OSX, and GNU\Linux. A computer running Mac OSX has the same hard ware a computer running Windows and Linux has.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't see by suing the companies which their products claim to work with PC, but in fact doesn't work with Linux, will actually work, at least not in law. It's just too familiar to be use as suing point.

I have never seen one in real life who called their Mac a PC, even PC itself never been use with laptop. And even laptop means Windows laptop, while a whole Mac Book series also called Mac.

It's not technically thing here. This might only apply to where I live though. Again, just see this thread's title, you will find the answer soon enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    I don't think we can say this - as much as I like Ubuntu. Mint, Mageia, Fedora and Opensuse are all popular desktop distros and on servers Red Hat, CentOS and Debian are probably all installed more than Ubuntu server. However Ubuntu and its spin-off Mint are probably the dominant Desktop Linux at the moment.
    I think that saying "Linux=Ubuntu" is sorta true, when you consider that Ubuntu shows up before Linux on Google if you search for Linux.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Ubuntu shows up as first result only in my personalized search. If I am in private mode Ubuntu is second after the Wikipedia entry about Linux.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12