Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12.04: How to install nVidia drivers that works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Solution: 12.04: How to install nVidia drivers that works?

I would not mess with installing the drivr directly from nvidia, you will be stuck rebuilding it every time the kernel is updated. I would install the x-swat ppa and just use the drivers that they build, works everytime

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...ive/x-updates/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by cybergalvez View Post
    I would not mess with installing the drivr directly from nvidia, you will be stuck rebuilding it every time the kernel is updated. I would install the x-swat ppa and just use the drivers that they build, works everytime

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates/
    That is a matter of opinion and experience, complicated by the variations in video cards and other hardware.

I prefer to use the Nvidia Download and run route, which once you have done it, only takes a minute or two, and is predictable and reliable, doing all the necessary uninstalls, cleanups and configurations.
    Edit: There are in any case fixes available to avoid the need to re -install after kernal updates.

The only problem I have had, was with the bugged version of 295.40, and that was transferred to the Ubuntu ppa versions as well.

Incidently, unbelievably, 295.40 is still being offered in Additional Drivers as 'nvidia-current'.

My experience with the #x-swat/x-updates version was an unmitigated disaster on one of my Desktops, though it worked OK on the other.

Use what works for you.

@cybergalvez
    Perhaps you should add to your advice the x-swat recommendation that you should install 'Purge PPA' and run it before any kernal update. And that is a lot work and more risky than using an nvidia download.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; July 1st, 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    That is a matter of opinion and experience, complicated by the variations in video cards and other hardware.

I prefer to use the Nvidia Download and run route, which once you have done it, only takes a minute or two, and is predictable and reliable, doing all the necessary uninstalls, cleanups and configurations.
    Edit: There are in any case fixes available to avoid the need to re -install after kernal updates.

The only problem I have had, was with the bugged version of 295.40, and that was transferred to the Ubuntu ppa versions as well.

Incidently, unbelievably, 295.40 is still being offered in Additional Drivers as 'nvidia-current'.

My experience with the #x-swat/x-updates version was an unmitigated disaster on one of my Desktops, though it worked OK on the other.

Use what works for you.

@cybergalvez
    Perhaps you should add to your advice the x-swat recommendation that you should install 'Purge PPA' and run it before any kernal update. And that is a lot work and more risky than using an nvidia download.

Chao!, bogan.
    All true. From my personal (and take that for what its worth) experience I've never had to do te purge PPA after a kernel update, but I have had to do it when I wanted to remove the x-swat driver the month or so that nvidia had serious river issues. The reality way works well most of the time, I prefer the PPA beccause they stay pretty up to date and requires less effort on my part

Beans
    Distro

Re: 12.04: How to install nVidia drivers that works?

The nVidia driver installer actually tells me it's installed at this point, but I still have no OpenGL nor glx. The driver shows up in jockey-gtk, but when I select it it says I'm "holding broken packages" and informs me that I'm screwed. All I can think this whole time is "would it seriously kill nVidia to provide their own .deb?!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rambux View Post
    There is a much simpler way to get the 173 driver.

I was able to install the nvidia 173 driver, straight from Ubuntu. I just downloaded the package from:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...s-drivers-173/

Specifically, nvidia-173_173.14.35-0ubuntu1_i386.deb at:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...untu1_i386.deb

After a quick cd to the Download directory, I installed via the command line with:

sudo dpkg -i nvidia-173_173.14.35-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

Then installed the nvidia-settings, rebooted, ran nvidia-settings, and everything is working out just fine!

(I have an nvidia GeForce FX 5200, (NV34). TV out via S-video is working perfectly! )

I hope this helps anyone who is in the same predicament I was in!!!
    I have the 173.14.36 version of the driver, and I'm having trouble with svideo. Would you be willing to explain how you got svideo out working?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123