Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which netbook to buy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need serious help!

I would recommend using .rtf vice .doc. But to further answer your question, you can save and email with attachments using linux. As far as being able to use MS Office, that is another question, from what I understand some older versions work somewhat with wine, but you would have to research that on the wine web page. I've been using linux since the mid 90's and run my freelance photography business with it. Don't know much about windows anymore.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

Another solution would be to install playonlinux, and install ms office 2007 or 2003 through it. word and excel work very nicely on this compatibility layer. access, however, does not work, and im not sure about any other.

Beans

It might be a little pointless if your content with OpenOffice or LIbreOffice but if you really need it, why not just install Office 2007 through wine?

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=4992

The only thing is you'd have to source your own software, which to be honest isn't really that hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which netbook to buy?

Make sure to buy a netbook with AT LEAST 1-2GB of RAM...thank me later.

Even I don't feel is optimal for 12.04 but it will do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah most netbooks are underpowered. Personally I'd give either Xubuntu or Lubuntu a try on them, unless you got one with a decent processor and a couple of GB of RAM. System76 sell a 14.1" laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 installed by default that has pretty good specs for the price. If I was in the market for a netbook/laptop I'd be looking at their offerings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    May I ask, what flavour of Linux is included on this netbook? Could we have a link to a product specifications page on the Internet?

There are a lot of cheap ARM-based netbooks out there with Linux or Windows CE that are very under-spec; you know, 64 megabytes of RAM and a 300MHz CPU. You should not buy a netbook unless it has a decent amount of memory and a decent CPU, otherwise you're probably getting ripped off.
    flavor? ok, i am really a beginner you see! i don't have any idea what you are talking about. it just says ''OS: Linux''.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm249 View Post
    I am planning to buy a 10 '' netbook which has a pre-installed Linux OS in it. I know very little about techie stuff and I am confused about whether I will be able to write and attach the written documents in emails. I am a writer and I work on Microsoft Word all the time. I need to send the written documents to other people on email so that even if they have Windows installed on their systems, they can read them. Anyone can help me by telling me whether this will be possible? I really don't want to spend money on getting Windows installed on my netbook and Ubuntu sounds good. Please help!
    gateway sells an awesome netbook right now for 279 it comes with windows. my recommendation is to format install ubuntu. if LibreOffice does not do enough for you install virtualbox and use word through virtualbox. I have this netbook and I know that it has enough power/reliability to run the virtualbox well enough for your purposes. This would be my recommended netbook. I have had mine for two and a half years and have had no problems with it thusfar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12