Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Newbunto View Post
    Local copies of what files?

How would I check that?

Where would I look?
    Local copies of your files that are kept on the file server. I'm sure where they would be, since it depends on what file server you're using. Also, make sure you don't have things lying around in the trash.

You can also use the included "Disk usage Analyzer" to find trouble apps.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    You can also use the included "Disk usage Analyzer" to find trouble apps.
    Thanks for the tip. Yep, that enabled me to look around for the reason for my higher than expected usage.

/var/cache/apt* - lots of .deb files (happy to leave them there) and other stuff

~/.mozilla/firefox/Cache - hmmm, possibly FireFox is storing a bit more than I want

~/Downloads - oops, one for the Red Faces department - multiple Ubuntu .iso files as I flailed around trying to get a Live anything to boot (now resolved) (I cleaned some of them up)

Any insight into why Disk Usage Analyser reports / as having a size of 5.6 GB but says that the disk space used is 7.4 GB?

As far as I can tell, 7.4 GB means "decimal GB" and matches the output from "df /" which is 7188784 1K-blocks used (where I take K here to mean "binary K" i.e. 1024).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Additionally you can remove cached packages to free up some space. This comes in handy if you installed a ton of stuff and decided to remove it later. The files are still on the system if you want to reinstall so you won't have to download it again.

$ sudo apt-get clean
    or

# apt-get clean
    Source info

Beans

kill unity. it blows. it takes twice as long to find the ap i want then it did with gnome. never going to win if we are always taking two steps back and none forward. this release i would say is 5 steps back. 10.10 was better and more usable. fix it. you have huge amounts jumping ship. pretty much all the secondlife linux users have had to jump ship from this crap because you broke every thing that worked. quit breaking things that work dumbasses.

this is all at ubuntu. system 76 rules. its unfortunate that ubuntu is draging a great linux comp maker down with it. system 76 needs to jump ship
    Last edited by PantherFarber; June 20th, 2012 at 11:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PantherFarber View Post
    kill unity. it blows. it takes twice as long to find the ap i want then it did with gnome. never going to win if we are always taking two steps back and none forward. this release i would say is 5 steps back. 10.10 was better and more usable. fix it. you have huge amounts jumping ship. pretty much all the secondlife linux users have had to jump ship from this crap because you broke every thing that worked. quit breaking things that work dumbasses.

this is all at ubuntu. system 76 rules. its unfortunate that ubuntu is draging a great linux comp maker down with it. system 76 needs to jump ship
    Actually, it doesn't look like we're being dragged down. Most of our users appear to be quite happy with Unity, and it hasn't affected sales at all. On the contrary, we're seeing record growth.

Unity may not work for some people, but but for a vast, decidedly silent majority, it works great, particularly in 12.04. It had some hiccups early on, and we don't even talk about 10.10 netbook's Unity (wait, I thought 10.10 didn't have a netbook edition!).
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 0tto View Post
    Well there it is. You have 12.04 running at 8.9G and mine is 19G. so what I am looking for is what to get rid of and how to do it. What could be so hard about that?
    Run Baobab ("Disk Usage Analyzer") or run "du" in a terminal. For example,
    Code:
    $ sudo du -hm {/var,/usr,/etc,/opt} | sort -h | tail -n20
    will find the top 20 directories and subdirectories in disk usage (in megabytes).

Your disk usage sounds abnormal, so no one will be able to help you until you give more relevant information. Not to mention, your words aren't very inviting to people to potentially help you.
    Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt; June 21st, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Most of our users appear to be quite happy with Unity
    I'm only one user but as a more or less brand new Linux user, I don't have any baggage about earlier Linux user interfaces. I'm happy with Unity. I am more likely to be comparing with some Windows version.

The launcher bar is good! I've even managed to customise in a few things e.g. right mouse on nautilus (Files) gives direct access to some frequently used files.

I think it's great that you can type what you are looking for because one of the worst things about Windows is that with hundreds of things in menus (and moving to different menus every Windows version), you just know that what you want is there but you will never find it. Unless you use Windows Help and let it jump you straight there - which defeats the point of having a menu - and which is sort of what the Unity launcher bar is giving you.

I'm not really sold on the unified menu bar though e.g. just means more mouse movement to move between the window and its menu bar. (I would hate to be doing all that mousing on a trackpad but I normally have an external mouse plugged in.) I've turned the unified menu bar off for a few applications.

My 2c

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I just upgraded my panp6 from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04, and now closing the lid no longer suspends the system. I can successfully suspend the system from a GUI menu pick, and wake it up by pressing the Fn+F4 keys simultaneously.

I have the System76 "driver" v 3.0.0, and have applied the "Install Driver" procedure. Anyone with a similar experience? Any thoughts on how to get the lid switch working again?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrtsn View Post
    I just upgraded my panp6 from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04, and now closing the lid no longer suspends the system. I can successfully suspend the system from a GUI menu pick, and wake it up by pressing the Fn+F4 keys simultaneously.

I have the System76 "driver" v 3.0.0, and have applied the "Install Driver" procedure. Anyone with a similar experience? Any thoughts on how to get the lid switch working again?
    I generally use the menu to do the suspend. But after reading your post, I did try the lid closing method and it worked for me. 12.04 on a Lemur Ultra.
    -- David

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrtsn View Post

I am in the exact same situation.

Panp6 with 10.04 upgraded to 12.04 today. Lid no longer suspends the system, but Suspend from GUI and resume from Fn+F4 works. S76 driver 3.0.0 installed as per the documentation.

Any help on this?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast