Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: outside of north america, how do world maps look like?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

outside of north america, how do world maps look like?

Hello, within the United States, world maps tend to have North America on the upper left of a world map, and Australia towards the lower right. (Something like http://go.hrw.com/atlas/norm_map/world.gif)

But in other places such as Australia, the Middle East, China, Africa, how do world maps look? Is the layout any different.

Would love to hear from Non-Americans and people in developing nations and just anywhere!

Thank you very much.

Beans

Re: outside of north america, how do world maps look like?

Most maps I have seen here in France are laid the same as the one you're referring to.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

8thstar, thanks for your post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In Australia, Australia is generally shown at the bottom middle of the map with Europe upper left, Nth America upper right..etc.
    Linux Registered User #401979
    Ubuntu Registered User #14181

Minds are like parachutes, dangerous if kept closed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

mdsmedia, thank you. that's interesting! I guess there is no map that everyone in the world would be happy with.

Beans

so, i always kind of figured that that layout was designed to have the london in middle-ish (or maybe this is just sheer egomania). i know you get world maps in china that have europe and africa on the left and the americas on the right (and therefore china in the middle) which also kind of makes sense as it breaks down the atlantic.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    so, i always kind of figured that that layout was designed to have the london in middle-ish (or maybe this is just sheer egomania). i know you get world maps in china that have europe and africa on the left and the americas on the right (and therefore china in the middle) which also kind of makes sense as it breaks down the atlantic.
    Most of the maps I've seen locally are similar to this, with Australia & NZ somewhere near the middle on the bottom. One notable exception had north and south inverted, so that "Down Under" became "Up Over"
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There is a tendency among us arrogant Yanks to not really care what anything else looks like to anyone else. Most Americans probably couldn't identify New Zealand on a map if it were circled in red.

Heck, the US in the center taking up 95% of the map with everything else smashed around the edges would probably seem pretty well proportioned to way too many of us.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by F.G
    i know you get world maps in china that have europe and africa on the left and the americas on the right (and therefore china in the middle) which also kind of makes sense as it breaks down the atlantic.
    Same in Vietnam.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    There is a tendency among us arrogant Yanks to not really care what anything else looks like to anyone else. Most Americans probably couldn't identify New Zealand on a map if it were circled in red.

Heck, the US in the center taking up 95% of the map with everything else smashed around the edges would probably seem pretty well proportioned to way too many of us.
    I've seen a few 'American' maps where north and south America are in the centre of the map.

Majority of maps I have seen though have the Prime Meridian (0° longitude) in the centre where Europe & Africa are.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast