Thread: Tips of video streaming from ubuntu to android (rygel + upnplay + mx player)

Beans

Lightbulb Tips of video streaming from ubuntu to android (rygel + upnplay + mx player)

Today I tried to figure out how to play the videos from my ubuntu desktop on my android phone. I ended up simple enough solution, and I hope this would help anyone trying to solve the same problem.

AFAIK, this solution:
    * Does not need any paid apps.
    * Does not require transcoding.
    * Should work with zero customized script/config file.

Step 1. Install rygel on ubuntu
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install rygel
    Step 2. Install upnplay on andorid.

Step 3. Install MX player on andorid (or whatever player you like, to play local video on your android)

Step 4. If your videos locate in ~/Videos then you can skip this step. Otherwise, you can edit /etc/rygel.conf, change the "uris" field to the folders with your media files.

Step 5. Run rygel in command line (no sudo). It might have some heavy IO if you have huge media library (I simply disabled the mp3 files discovery in the config, since I do not want to play those)

Step 6. Open upnplay on your andorid, you should see your ubuntu media library. Locate and click the video file, choose the video player you want to use (MX player in my case). And it plays

I don't want to mess up with ufw, so I simply disabled it when I tried this, not sure if it is necessary~

Tested on:
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Galaxy Nexus
    with some divx music videos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Tips of video streaming from ubuntu to android (rygel + upnplay + mx player)

That's exactly what I did.

If you have an extensive library, indexing might take days! This is due to the fact that Rygel is configured to extract metadata by default. Disable the extract-metadata in rygel.conf to speed up initial and subqequent crawling. For details see the manpage:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...el.conf.5.html

PS look for the rygel.conf file in your HOME/.config folder. The copy in the ETC/ folder is not used if there is one set up in HOME.
    Last edited by dnns; June 2nd, 2012 at 09:50 AM.

Beans

Re: Tips of video streaming from ubuntu to android (rygel + upnplay + mx player)

Quote Originally Posted by dnns View Post
    That's exactly what I did.

If you have an extensive library, indexing might take days! This is due to the fact that Rygel is configured to extract metadata by default. Disable the extract-metadata in rygel.conf to speed up initial and subqequent crawling. For details see the manpage:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...el.conf.5.html

PS look for the rygel.conf file in your HOME/.config folder. The copy in the ETC/ folder is not used if there is one set up in HOME.
    If you have _lots_ of videos, the meta-data extraction slows down for some reason I couldn't pinpoint yet; Restarting rygel every odd-hundred videos helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowsama View Post
    Today I tried to figure out how to play the videos from my ubuntu desktop on my android phone. I ended up simple enough solution, and I hope this would help anyone trying to solve the same problem.

AFAIK, this solution:
    * Does not need any paid apps.
    * Does not require transcoding.
    * Should work with zero customized script/config file.

Step 1. Install rygel on ubuntu
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install rygel
    Step 2. Install upnplay on andorid.

Step 3. Install MX player on andorid (or whatever player you like, to play local video on your android)

Step 4. If your videos locate in ~/Videos then you can skip this step. Otherwise, you can edit /etc/rygel.conf, change the "uris" field to the folders with your media files.

Step 5. Run rygel in command line (no sudo). It might have some heavy IO if you have huge media library (I simply disabled the mp3 files discovery in the config, since I do not want to play those)

Step 6. Open upnplay on your andorid, you should see your ubuntu media library. Locate and click the video file, choose the video player you want to use (MX player in my case). And it plays

I don't want to mess up with ufw, so I simply disabled it when I tried this, not sure if it is necessary~

Tested on:
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Galaxy Nexus
    with some divx music videos.
    TQ a million ... Now, I'd stream video from Ubuntu to my Android Tab!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

When I run rygel I get this error message:

Code:
    Rygel-Message: New plugin 'MediaExport' available
    MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/anas/Music' harvested
    MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/anas/Pictures' harvested
    MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/anas/Videos' harvested

** (rygel:9183): WARNING **: Failed to get SCPD: Connection terminated unexpectedly
    The initial event message will not be sent.

** (rygel:9183): WARNING **: Failed to get SCPD: Connection terminated unexpectedly

On UPnPlay screen I can only see files stored on my Galaxy Nexus (Local Media).

What does that error mean?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AN@S View Post
    When I run rygel I get this error message:

Code:
    Rygel-Message: New plugin 'MediaExport' available
    MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/anas/Music' harvested
    MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/anas/Pictures' harvested
    MediaExport-Message: 'file:///home/anas/Videos' harvested

On UPnPlay screen I can only see files stored on my Galaxy Nexus (Local Media).

What does that error mean?
    Try another client.