Thread: Installing Ubuntu on iconia tab W500

Beans

Installing Ubuntu on iconia tab W500

Ok, so i am trying again to install Linux on my iconia tab w500, but this time i hope to stick with it. So i am hoping to get some help on the problems i had with it.

1) It's an acer, so like most of the acer laptops ive seen, the fan control is way off.. it only goes off and on(100%), so it drains the battery quite fast (i think this is the reason why i had terrible battery life)

2) Is there any way to simulate a rightClick by keeping my finger pushed on the screen?

3) is it real that Linux kills batteryes? (i heard that with linux, the capacity drops faster that with Windows..)

4) How does Linux perform with SSD's? does it support TRIM fully, or will it hurt it in the long run?

5) is there any way to rotate the screen?Ubuntu provides a way to do this, but the input stays the same.. so it doesnt click where i press. Anyway to rotate the input too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installing Ubuntu on iconia tab W500

Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Ty for the links, the one with TRIM was very helpfull.

About the "How to Improve the Battery Life of Your Linux Laptop" one, i dont see anything Linux-specific.. Dimming the lights(doesnt work in my tablet btw) or killing high-demanding processes, is something u do in windows too Also, my battery problems are not because of heavy processes.. I had terrible battery life with ArchBang, using Openbox..
    Last edited by GodsOtherHand; April 1st, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by GodsOtherHand View Post
    Ty for the links, the one with TRIM was very helpfull.

About the "How to Improve the Battery Life of Your Linux Laptop" one, i dont see anything Linux-specific.. Dimming the lights(doesnt work in my tablet btw) or killing high-demanding processes, is something u do in windows too Also, my battery problems are not because of heavy processes.. I had terrible battery life with ArchBang, using Openbox..
    here we have one more discussion , you can get some bits here .
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

bump

Beans

bump bump

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

there are many things that affect battery life. what about the integrated graphics? are you using the open source driver or the proprietary driver?