Thread: Compile actionscript3 on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Compile actionscript3 on Ubuntu?

I have been fighting all day long with the Flash demons. I have a small actionscript that I want to compile to a .swf file.

I tryied to compile and install swftools but I constantly run into problems. I also heard of Flex 3 SDK but couldn't find a linux package for that. Is there hope for me? I just want to compile the damn thing after I added one line of code..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Compile actionscript3 on Ubuntu?

With all due respect to Flash's rich history, if someone were tempted to write an ActionScript compiler I'd fully understand if they put that energy into an HTML5/JavaScript IDE instead.

Flash's days appear numbered as so many major players keep pouring tens of millions of dollars into JS optimization....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    With all due respect to Flash's rich history, if someone were tempted to write an ActionScript compiler I'd fully understand if they put that energy into an HTML5/JavaScript IDE instead.

Flash's days appear numbered as so many major players keep pouring tens of millions of dollars into JS optimization....
    Agreed. However there are some ridiculous issues still out there that don't let people go with just HTML5/JavaScript.

One example is the <audio> tag which in browsers like Firefox can't play mp3! That's also the reason I need a flash in my case.

Beans

FDT has a linux version
    and there is a free version available for download