Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless network card not working after suspend

Beans

wireless network card not working after suspend

After I suspend Ubuntu (or after is suspends itself) half of the times the wireless card isn't working anymore. Even the little light, marking whether the WLAN is on, is off although the switch is on. Flipping the switch off and on again doesn't have any effect. I have to reboot to make my wireless card work again.

I have a Sony Vaio PCG 392M and my Wireless Network Card is a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (rev 02)
    (or full out: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)).
    I have Ubuntu 11.04 installed.

I don't understand why this is, because it really seems completely random: sometimes it is still working, sometimes it isn't

I don't know if it is really half of the times, might be even more, but it seems that there is larger chance of it not working anymore after a long time of being suspended.

This is really annoying because so often I have to reboot when I thought I could just quickly check something online (often I don't have the time to reboot). Certainly during the exams it is very inefficient when I often have to quickly look up little things on the internet. Could someone please help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: wireless network card not working after suspend

You might try this:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/config
    A new, empty file will open. Add one line:
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="iwl3945"
    Proofread, save and close gedit. Reboot, suspend and let us have your report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

thanks for the quick response and sorry for my own tardy reaction (had a lot to do today).

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Is this a possible solution? If so I'll have to try it out for a little while, since the "not working" happens randomly, but is more likely to occur after a long time of my laptop being suspended.

But so I have done what you suggested and I'll see what happens...
    thanks

Beans
    Distro

Is this a possible solution?
    That's why I suggested it, so, yes!

We will be interested in your report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I'm afraid it still happens... :S

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Quazze View Post
    I'm afraid it still happens... :S
    If you've proofread your work and it's all correct, then I have no further suggestions/mojo/talent. Sorry.

Beans

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on my Sony FZ11M. My card is also reported as "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)"

Following this thread https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=682514 it seems that there is a kernel issue resolved in kernels newer than 3.2.7. As I understand Ubuntu has the 3.2.0 (and I guess our bug is not back fixed). So I will try to use the 3.3.6 kernel of ppa based on the instructions found here: http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/how-...6-via-ppa.html

Wish me good luck!

Beans

It did not work.....

Beans

Did anyone ever find a solution for this problem? I am having the same issue with a Dell laptop running a similar Intel wireless card. Only the card is not turning on after reboot. When this use to happen I would just boot into my windows partition and then the wireless card would turn back on. but I am running this on a dedicated server so I can't just boot into another OS to turn the thing back on. If anyone has a solution to this is I would be very interested!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by m7redp View Post
    Did anyone ever find a solution for this problem? I am having the same issue with a Dell laptop running a similar Intel wireless card. Only the card is not turning on after reboot. When this use to happen I would just boot into my windows partition and then the wireless card would turn back on. but I am running this on a dedicated server so I can't just boot into another OS to turn the thing back on. If anyone has a solution to this is I would be very interested!
    Did you try the suggested solution, substituting your wireless driver if not iwl3945? It works for some, maybe most, and not for others.

Your Dell laptop is a dedicated server? Does the server really need to suspend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast