Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: my new linux laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: my new linux laptop

Quote Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
    I ordered a gazelle-value (12.1" screen, Celeron-M) from system76 and should be getting it this week. Looking forward to it! Brunellus, I don't think the come with codecs, as they have a How-To on their forums on installing the codecs, and I read somewhere that they don't install them due to the licensing...
    newlinux, when you get your Gazelle, can you post your experiences back here--either in this thread or your own new thread?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Fucsia. Which processor came with your Pangolin? I ask b/c the pangolin series where "upgraded" to a Intel Core Duo. Also does the Intel Core Duo come with an embedded TPM chip? I ask b/c that's the CPU used in Apple's x86 Macs which have integrated TPM chips in them (the chip is an infineon branded one). Also I live in Panamá (the centro american country) and wanted to know, since the PCCard modem is no longer an option for the pangolin series. How can I get a Linux-compatible PCcard modem (sorry, no Linux-friendly broadband ISP here)?
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Hidden!

i got the pangolin with a celeron m. right after i ordered it, i saw they were doing better processors and got kind of 'oh ****'-ish. however, this thing is as fast as i'll ever need and i forken love the wsxga screen. in fact, the screen is my favorite thing about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

celeron ms are actually really good cpus. The desktop versions are complete ****, but hte notebook ones are exactly the same as the pentiums. Only idfference is that they only have 1mb of L2 cache(thats still a lot though) and dont have cpu scaling support. It hurts the battery life, but performance is good.

If you want to do something hardcore though, you can get a 1.6ghz pentium m with a 400mhz FSB and do a pinmod to increase the FSB to 533mhz. This OCs the cpu to 2.13ghz without any heat issues AND it will support clock scaling. You can get one off of ebay for less than a hundred bucks, and the laptop you have makes it really easy cause instead of having to do the pinmod with an actual pin, you can just flip a switch on the motherboard. Let me know if you want more info.
    Help Ubuntu rise to the top! Join the Ubuntu Folding@Home Team

Apps loading too slowly? Prelink

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Let me know if you want more info.
    dude, you lost me way back at "celeron m's are good". thanks for the offer, though. i appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Its better that way i guess, dont want you to break anything cause of me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Its better that way i guess, dont want you to break anything cause of me.
    the stuff you were talking about is just over my head. i'm not much of a machine person and tend to go 'deer in the headlights' in such discussions.

celeron ms are actually really good cpus. The desktop versions are complete ****, but the notebook ones are exactly the same as the pentiums.
    this kind of surprises me (i'd always assumed otherwise). i have an old 700mhz celeron in my desktop and a 1.6 celeron m in my laptop. the difference between the two is remarkable, but i don't know whether to credit the cpu, the gig of memory (instead of 256), or what. i guess it's a combination of all of them?

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

probably a little bit of both. Gnome gets a nice speedup going to 512mb, but anything over that really wont make a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    newlinux, when you get your Gazelle, can you post your experiences back here--either in this thread or your own new thread?
    Will do... I go on a business trip next week, but if I get it before then (which I expect) I'll probably take it with me and start testing it out each night. It will be interesting to compare it to the things I went through with my desktop, and this will be the first computer I've ever bought without windows on it. This may be a landmark moment .
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Things I'm particularly interested in are:

1. Battery life.
    2. Ability to hibernate/sleep properly, and are you then prompted for a password when you "wake" the laptop? Is that configurable?
    3. Codecs (I know you said they probably don't come with codecs, but a definite confirmation would be great for the curious among us.

I'd be grateful for anything you can share, of course.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast