Thread: Refit and Lion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Refit and Lion

With the lion release it allows you to be able to hold alt at boot and search for bootable media. Does this render refit useless for users that unfortunately are now using lion. I replaced my macbook and now have an 2011 gen Macbook which came with Lion *Sigh* .Just wondered if refit will even be needed on Lion? Anyone know if they are planning to release a Lion version of Refit?

Thanks
    William

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Refit and Lion

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxBill View Post
    With the lion release it allows you to be able to hold alt at boot and search for bootable media. Does this render refit useless for users that unfortunately are now using lion. I replaced my macbook and now have an 2011 gen Macbook which came with Lion *Sigh* .Just wondered if refit will even be needed on Lion? Anyone know if they are planning to release a Lion version of Refit?

Thanks
    William
    OS X has done that for a very long time, it is not a new feature of Lion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

rEFIt

I've been using rEFIt with Lion and haven't noticed any change in that regard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ah right never knew this..but then why use refit if you can already boot into whatever you need?

Thanks
    William

Beans

You don't need rEFIt. From the rEFIt websites's Myths & Facts About Intel Macs:

Myth: You need rEFIt to install/boot Linux

You don’t. The firmware’s built-in boot volume chooser (hold Option to activate it) will recognize Linux boot CDs as well as bootable hard disks and let you boot them. (They may be labeled “Windows”, though.) For triple-booting you’ll get only one item in the built-in chooser, but you can use GRUB, LILO, or NTLDR to act as a second-level menu to choose between Windows and Linux. The gptsync tool can be compiled to run on Linux.

Of course rEFIt makes it easier. For example, it will give you a single menu even for triple-boot setups.