Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is my Foobar2000 equivalent (i.e. a decent audio player)

Beans

Re: Where is my Foobar2000 equivalent (i.e. a decent audio player)

I'm feeling your pain, demonboy. I've also tested out nearly every single player available for nix systems, including some terminal-based ones, and I still haven't found player which has all of these features:

Jump to now playing tracks
    Playback follows cursor & cursor follows playback
    Double-clicking a file in file manager adds track to specified playlist
    Playback count synced with last.fm
    Grouping of playlist items (with artwork)
    Grouping of playlists the way I want to, not alphabetical or random or something else

It just frustrates me so much and believe it or not, I boot to Windows just to enjoy foobar2000. Using it via Wine feels slugish and with latest ubuntu and wine, the sound stutters alot. But, I feel like there's some hope, I'm back to testing Quod Libet and I find it rather usable (looking on my want-list that is) but the thing I miss the most is this:

double click track in file manager should send it to queue (I can't even select it as default player - what the foolishness?)

Edit:
    Forgot to mention gmusicbrowser. I still can't figure the darn playback order, if I for instance type in search "prodigy", it gives me couple of albums, I play some track and when it's finished it plays something completly random from my librabry and it's driving me nuts.
    Last edited by paradajz; April 19th, 2012 at 01:03 PM.

Beans

Have you looked at Beatbox? You left it off your list. I like the fact that it is lighter than most although it still
    has most of the features that I use.

Beans
    Hidden!

@paradajz
    Take a look at Deadbeef its interface is very similar to Foobar2000 and can do everything you want if you configure it that way.
    You will have to check the lastfm plugin to see if it does what you want, I don't know anything about it.
    I like it so much I went ahead and made this for it.
    Building Conky | iCalendar Conky | Weather Script | Background List
    Intel Core i7-2600K - 3.40GHz | Asus P8Z68-V LE | 8GB RAM - 1866 MHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Beans

MPD is the best choice for media player, hands down but it requires a (very) little set up.
    currently I'm listening to music and it is consuming less than 1% of my processor. you can plug into it with an array of clients (mpc/ncmpc/ncmpcpp/gmpc/etc) and it can be set up to serve your network with music, or even over the interweb. it handles just about anything you throw at it, provided they have a file extension (but its easy to add one to missing files). it has a wide array of plugins that add functionality to it but it seems that those plugins are not big priorities on your list

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arclance View Post
    @paradajz
    Take a look at Deadbeef its interface is very similar to Foobar2000 and can do everything you want if you configure it that way.
    You will have to check the lastfm plugin to see if it does what you want, I don't know anything about it.
    I like it so much I went ahead and made this for it.
    I've tried to install latest version in 12.04 and it didn't work, I've started it and then nothing happens. Got solution for that?

Edit: Nevermind that, found .deb for oneiric and it works.

The only thing simmiliar to foobar is that it looks like it and that's just about it.

It doesn't have media library - definite turn off
    Last edited by paradajz; April 19th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by paradajz View Post
    I've tried to install latest version in 12.04 and it didn't work, I've started it and then nothing happens. Got solution for that?

Edit: Nevermind that, found .deb for oneiric and it works.

The only thing simmiliar to foobar is that it looks like it and that's just about it.

It doesn't have media library - definite turn off
    It is similar to the way I used foobar2000 maybe it is not to the way you used it.
    You didn't mention that you wanted a media library in your post
    Quote Originally Posted by paradajz View Post
    Jump to now playing tracks
    Playback follows cursor & cursor follows playback
    Double-clicking a file in file manager adds track to specified playlist
    Playback count synced with last.fm
    Grouping of playlist items (with artwork)
    Grouping of playlists the way I want to, not alphabetical or random or something else
    otherwise I would not have mentioned Deadbeef.
    I know where all my music is so I have never seen a need for a media library myself.
    All the players I tried that had one felt slow and bloated, and did not work very well.
    Building Conky | iCalendar Conky | Weather Script | Background List
    Intel Core i7-2600K - 3.40GHz | Asus P8Z68-V LE | 8GB RAM - 1866 MHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans

I'm actually finding mpd+ncmpcpp combination AWESOME.
    Last edited by paradajz; April 20th, 2012 at 08:52 PM.

Beans

I'm in the same boat as you, tried all the ones you have and a few more, I'm going to give Foobnix and Deadbeef a go.

There's a review from a while ago for it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Where is my Foobar2000 equivalent (i.e. a decent audio player)

I'm totally fed up with Rhtyhmbox, which seems to defy my limited intelligence especially regarding lyrics & cover art. I've tried Banshee with some success - although everyone disparages it so.

Only today, I've discovered Clementine. It has a quirky UI not in step with the normal Gnome, but who cares? It just seems to work right and I'm very impressed.

For the benefit of the original poster, you can add whole folders to the playlist.

* You get both the library view and the filesystem view to choose from.
    * The library is nicely grouped into alphabetic sections, initially. There are several other 'group by' modes too.
    * The song info and artist info work well.
    * Cover art just worksTM (unlike Rhythmbox!)

Rick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast