Thread: Tweaking icon locations on Gnome 3 panels.

Beans

Tweaking icon locations on Gnome 3 panels.

U11.10 and Gnome 3

Okay, is there some special maneuver for moving icons around on the panel? In Gnome 2 you could simply move your icon to wherever and just lock it in place. In Gnome 3 whenever I move something it pulls a student body right/left/center maneuver and doesn't allow me to place it where "I" want it. Movement seems to be full right, full left or center but nowhere in between.
    Control is a wonderful thing ... but only if you have your own.
    LM13 with MATE DE on:
    BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150/nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ CPU * 2GB RAM * 160 GB SATA2 HD * 320 GB IDE HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Tweaking icon locations on Gnome 3 panels.

seems to annoyingly intended, interesting how there are no replies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

is there some kind of plugin or config settings to override the default behavior?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

There is no way to move the icons in Unity . If you are using the Gnome fall-back session you can take a look at the link .http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/indic...ome-3-can.html

The fall-back session was supposed to be temporary and eventually removed ,so it doesn't have many features . I have read that Alt+Right Click allows some panel function in the fall-back session .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but the question was never answered, so I see no point in kicking up the topic again elsewhere and cluttering up the forum.

There were answers provided about Unity and Gnome fallback, but the OP was asking about repositioning icons in the Gnome 3 panel.

It surprises me that there are 15 pages of extensions at https://extensions.gnome.org/ and I can't seem to find a single entry about freedom to reorganize the panel. Have I missed it?
    No joke, a Google search pops up nothing, save this thread that's missing an answer.

I realize restriction is one of the big complaints people have about Gnome3, but I'm actually starting to get acclimated to it. I just want to move a couple things around.

Can anybody help? I've looked in /home and /etc and opened every file within any folder with the word "gnome" in it. None of those files seem to configure the layout of the panel. Where should I look? This can't be impossible. I'm just too much of a noob to figure it out on my own.
    Oh, Linux... if only I had known.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

All the Ubuntu desktops on 12.04 run on top of Gnome 3.4. So the identification of the specific desktop environment is needed to find an answer. The Gnome Shell like unity is some what locked down other than what is possible with extensions. There are extensions that allow the user to hide or move some items , but not all items . Many extensions were developed by users with a particular need.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; June 26th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bradleypariah View Post
    Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but the question was never answered, so I see no point in kicking up the topic again elsewhere and cluttering up the forum.

There were answers provided about Unity and Gnome fallback, but the OP was asking about repositioning icons in the Gnome 3 panel.

It surprises me that there are 15 pages of extensions at https://extensions.gnome.org/ and I can't seem to find a single entry about freedom to reorganize the panel. Have I missed it?
    No joke, a Google search pops up nothing, save this thread that's missing an answer.

I realize restriction is one of the big complaints people have about Gnome3, but I'm actually starting to get acclimated to it. I just want to move a couple things around.

Can anybody help? I've looked in /home and /etc and opened every file within any folder with the word "gnome" in it. None of those files seem to configure the layout of the panel. Where should I look? This can't be impossible. I'm just too much of a noob to figure it out on my own.
    /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It is possible in GNOME Shell, but to have a button specifically where you want it requires annoying tweaking regarding Clutter, the panel's children, and the three *Box'es.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js
    I'll give it a look. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lolpenguin View Post
    It is possible in GNOME Shell, but to have a button specifically where you want it requires annoying tweaking regarding Clutter, the panel's children, and the three *Box'es.
    Oh, Linux... if only I had known.

Beans

L Windows + L ALT + R Click on the icon, then choose move from menu ... work on ubuntu 12.10 !