Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: font failure in Emacs

Beans

Re: font failure in Emacs

I have a follow up question to this thread.

Despite what I indicated above, I still have to execute the 'xrdb -merge ~/.XDefaults' command each time I start a new shell. I would like to figure out a way to not have to do this! I created a file called 'fonstruct' that contains the line: 'xrdb -merge ~/.XDefaults'. I was thinking that everytime I ssh into the shell I could simply type:

./fonstruct

and the file I created with the line
    'xrdb -merge ~/.XDefaults' would execute on the command line and I could use emacs. But, when I type

./fonstruct

I get error "Command not found"

Anyone know why I get the "Command not found" error? Or how I could simply have the .Xdefaults file execute automatically so emacs just works everytime I start a new shell?

Thanks!

Beans

Just a note to say I tried emacs*font: 7x14 and not only did it not work it broke emacs with "No fonts match '7x14'"

The trick is to run "xlsfonts" which lists the available fonts and pick one of those.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mguycooper View Post
    I have a follow up question to this thread.

Despite what I indicated above, I still have to execute the 'xrdb -merge ~/.XDefaults' command each time I start a new shell. I would like to figure out a way to not have to do this! I created a file called 'fonstruct' that contains the line: 'xrdb -merge ~/.XDefaults'. I was thinking that everytime I ssh into the shell I could simply type:

./fonstruct

and the file I created with the line
    'xrdb -merge ~/.XDefaults' would execute on the command line and I could use emacs. But, when I type

./fonstruct

I get error "Command not found"

Anyone know why I get the "Command not found" error? Or how I could simply have the .Xdefaults file execute automatically so emacs just works everytime I start a new shell?

Thanks!
    Try "chmod +x fonstruct" to solve your first problem. For the second you might want to look into creating an .xinitrc file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@myguycooper: Also, apologies for the delayed reply to your questions. I am subscribed to the thread, but for some reason I hadn't received notification from the forum for any of your posts. I did get a notification when Tortoise_74 posted, and when I followed the link in the notification to the thread that was the first time I realized there had been other posts recently. Perhaps the forum software is experiencing some hiccups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise_74 View Post
    Just a note to say I tried emacs*font: 7x14 and not only did it not work it broke emacs with "No fonts match '7x14'"

The trick is to run "xlsfonts" which lists the available fonts and pick one of those.
    Yes, sorry I didn't mention that step in my original posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12