Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: As release date closes in...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: As release date closes in...

Quote Originally Posted by Pynalysis View Post
    Will be upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 on release day!
    Actually not a good idea upgrading on the day as the servers can get overloaded.

Better to do it the day before or wait 24 hrs.

Clean install is fine. Using a torrent is the best way to get the iso.

Or get it now and use zsync to keep it up to date.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Actually not a good idea upgrading on the day as the servers can get overloaded.

Better to do it the day before or wait 24 hrs.

Clean install is fine. Using a torrent is the best way to get the iso.

Or get it now and use zsync to keep it up to date.
    Even on a clean install, when you do the updates it can take forever as the servers are overloaded normally. I plan to wait a few days after release before installing, but I will download and burn to DVD the second it's released to have it ready to go.

And yes, torrent is highly recommended. It's a great way to share Ubuntu, as I usually download all available editions on each release and seed them each up to about 15.0-25.0 ratio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If I were patient, I'd wait a month before upgrading so that the most common kinks could be worked out. However, if the last release cycle was any indication, I'll upgrade a week before release.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubupirate View Post
    Even on a clean install, when you do the updates it can take forever as the servers are overloaded normally. I plan to wait a few days after release before installing, but I will download and burn to DVD the second it's released to have it ready to go.

And yes, torrent is highly recommended. It's a great way to share Ubuntu, as I usually download all available editions on each release and seed them each up to about 15.0-25.0 ratio.
    This is one of the big reasons I want to wait a month before I install Oneric to my 3rd OS partition. Not only will most of the release bugs be ironed out, but the servers won't be as hog-wild with a lot of early birds downloading it. I usually don't mind doing direct downloads of Ubuntu, but I'll very likely torrent it as it's usually faster.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: As release date closes in...

Quote Originally Posted by ubj View Post
    So many bugs in compiz and Unity and last minute regressions. Yesterday and today.
    I'll be moving to Kubuntu.Xubuntu or to Bohdi when 10;10 is no longer supported.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!

I will try it out in VMware or Virtualbox to see what the improvements are; however, I doubt that I will adopt it as a primary OS for my laptop computers. I still prefer to use the LTS Ubuntu releases for laptops, or CentOS and Debian for servers.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; October 7th, 2011 at 02:28 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PuddingKnife View Post
    I hated Natty. Oneiric has been a pleasure, and the changes in Unity shell have all been quite pleasant.
    For all those using the beta, what's the best thing about Oneiric?

Beans

I'm sticking with 10.04 until next lts. tried 11.04 and didn't like it and recently reinstalled 10.04. not going to go through 2 upgrade processes just to get 11.10
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro

I'm already running 11.10. But I always do clean installs. I hear too many horror stories about upgrading going bad.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by krapp View Post
    For all those using the beta, what's the best thing about Oneiric?
    Seems very stable to me, and fast.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast