Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What commands are in need of a front-end?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What commands are in need of a front-end?

I'm teaching python to my little brother, and he's learned on his own how to do GUI's, but has no idea what kind of program to write for practice.

So I figure the two of us could write some descent front-ends in python for CLI programs, and I'd get some input from the community on what programs are in need of a front-end?

Or does everything anyone would want to use already have a good frontend?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What commands are in need of a front-end?

yes
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How about espeak?

Most commands probably already have a front end, but this would be strictly a learning experience.
    Last edited by aaaantoine; September 14th, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

wget ?

I imagine rather than presenting a long list of options with checkboxes, you could think about common tasks (single file download, backup a site, build a browsable mirror, ....) with options (with/without authentication, ...) etc. Your GUI would then need some logic to call wget with the appropriate options and possibly prompt for additional data required for that specific task, with sane defaults where possible.

Additionally, it would be a exercise in good programming practices, because you're likely to start small and add on more stuff later. Your initial GUI and its code should be designed so that expanding it would be easy and doesn't clutter your code.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As a first go I may be inclined to re-implement something like the archive managers. My point is not that we need another archive manager, but you have not only a challenge to write one, but there are a plethora of managers out there you can compare yours to.

For something more original: currently if I want to view a set of text files I can use more, less, or a file editor. But that stops at text files. If you have a directory full of image files you can view them with gwenview or some other tool designed to view images. But that's it. Twenty years ago I had a tool called vf. It recognised certain image formats and could be extended to recognise, convert and display other image formats with for instance *pbm* or imagemagick. It also displayed text files. Point it at a tar or zip file and it could list the contents. Give it an executable or a library file and it could display the output of nm or strings. Failing that it could display a hexadecimal listing of the file.

I once attempted to re-implement that tool in perl with the tk extension but only got as far as a text lister. I have never had the time to take it further or port it to a newer toolkit.

Problems to solve:
    • Using it from a command line (easy)
    • Using it from a gui file manager such as dolphin
    • Recognising filetypes and extending it to recognise more
    • Searching for text in the text view
    • Reusing it when you want to look at more files
    • Moving to another tool if you want to edit a text file or extract a file from an archive

The original tool could do the first four points above.

So what do you think?

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Folding@home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Shreading a file. Allow him to drag a file onto a window (trash can design) and when the file gets drug to the window, shread it. Better yet, it could be in the notifications area so people could have it open constantly.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

if you have a computer with a wireless card, you could have him write a gui that uses iwconfig, iwlist, and dhcp to find and configure new wifi connections.

There are already gui apps for wicd and Network manager, so it's kinda redundant, but there isn't anything good for Network Daemon.

[edit]
    thought of a much better one for this job: imagemagick! Something light to let you preform all kinds of tasks on images without having to load a full editor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aaaantoine View Post
    How about espeak?

Most commands probably already have a front end, but this would be strictly a learning experience.
    already has one... gespeak

Beans

Why not a GUI to manage partitions instead of manually editing fstab?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast