View Poll Results: Which lightweight distro do you chose?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crunch Bang

13 7.51%
  • Arch Bang

10 5.78%
  • Puppy

19 10.98%
  • DSL (Outdated, but still used)

3 1.73%
  • SliTaz

3 1.73%
  • Lubuntu

45 26.01%
  • Xubuntu

43 24.86%
  • MacPup

1 0.58%
  • Tiny Core

2 1.16%
  • Other

34 19.65%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Lightweight Distro do you prefer and why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Which Lightweight Distro do you prefer and why?

Quote Originally Posted by XubuRoxMySox View Post
    Want to try Lubuntu next time.
    Go for it.

I think the Lubuntu project will be absolutely stunning by the time they reach 12.04.
    Lubuntu is getting much better each and every release. I remember I had lots of issues with 10.04 and I didn't get the same problems with 11.04.

I have joined LXDE and Lubuntu team recently. Actually, we can't talk about them apart.
    I love LXDE and Lubuntu. I'm quite sure it will be much better in the coming releases.
    In fact, if you take a look at www.distrowatch.com, you will clearly notice that Lubuntu beats Kubuntu and Xubuntu.

My PC is 6+ years old and it has no problem running Unity 3D but I prefer Lubuntu.
    This is a test PC and I'm installing many Distros for testing. Planning to get used laptop and once done, Lubuntu will be my MAIN OS on that device.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by galacticaboy View Post
    I have always found LXDE to be ugly.
    LXDE isn't meant to be used on the most recent machines. LXDE stands for "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. One can not expect much from such environment. However, as far as I can tell, the team is doing its best to make it looks as good as possible.
    As I posted previously, my P4 PC is capable of running Unity 3D without any problems but I do prefer LXDE
    But YMMV

I have once installed Mint LXDE on a very old machine (1999) and it worked much faster than XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    LXDE isn't meant to be used on the most recent machines. LXDE stands for "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. One can not expect much from such environment. However, as far as I can tell, the team is doing its best to make it looks as good as possible.
    As I posted previously, my P4 PC is capable of running Unity 3D without any problems but I do prefer LXDE
    But YMMV

I have once installed Mint LXDE on a very old machine (1999) and it worked much faster than XP.
    I wish my P4 PC could run Unity 3D, I can barely do Unity 2D... I hate my pc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I wish my P4 PC could run Unity 3D, I can barely do Unity 2D... I hate my pc...
    That's why people with such machines (sorry, not sure what are the hardware specifications of your PC?) go for LXDE, XFCE or other lightweight environment.

Most people coming from Windows 7 think the 3D or "more effect' way. I don't even change the theme. All what I care is a machine that works without any headache

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

That's why people with such machines (sorry, not sure what are the hardware specifications of your PC?) go for LXDE, XFCE or other lightweight environment.

Most people coming from Windows 7 think the 3D or "more effect' way. I don't even change the theme. All what I care is a machine that works without any headache
    Yeah, my PC specs are P4 2.50, 6GB HDD, YES 6GB, 756MB of RAM with Intel 82865G Onboard Graphics controller. It sucks, bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yeah, my PC specs are P4 2.50, 6GB HDD, YES 6GB, 756MB of RAM with Intel 82865G Onboard Graphics controller. It sucks, bad.
    Looks like it's older than my PC but NOT that bad if you ask me
    I got Gigabyte Intel 945 Chipset MB with built-in Graphics Card (Intel GMA 950), P4 @3.0GHz - 2MB Cache, 2GB RAM and a test IDE HDD with 40GB.

You just need another HDD. Not that expensive these days.

I have another PC. P4 but 512MB RAM shared with the Graphics Card so it's around 460MB or something.
    Last time, I did a test on it and I gave 256MB for Graphics and 256MB RAM and tried Lubuntu LiveCD and it just worked without any issue. Usually, LiveCD require more RAM but it worked on that Setup.

Don't feel bad. There are people who still use older machines than you ... think this way and you'll never feel bad but instead, will feel thankful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah, don't feel bad at ALL! My PC has 512 RAM and an old Celeron processor. Yet Xubuntu 10.04 runs flawless and fast on it! So did Ubuntu 10.04 for that matter!

She won't handle Unity, but I fixed up my Xfce desktop to look and act like Unity just because I think it looks cool.

My next OS might be Lubu 12.04! The more I see of it on the web, the better it looks. Back on 9.04 LXDE was buggy as all getout on minimal Ubuntu, but I found a way to make it work and it was so fast on an even ollllllder computer at the dance studio that it actually won a few of the other dance kids over from Windows that had older 'puters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by XubuRoxMySox View Post
    My next OS might be Lubu 12.04!
    Why to wait until 12.04? Lubuntu 11.04 is waiting for you
    Give it a try and if you have any question, please let me know

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why to wait until 12.04? Lubuntu 11.04 is waiting for you
    Give it a try and if you have any question, please let me know
    Sticking with the LTS releases for now... down to only one 'puter and it's "mission critical!" Can't risk any mess-ups even if they're my own fault. 'Puter's gotta work!

I'll likely even wait until 12.04 is a month or more old before I risk it. I know, I'm such a wimp, lol. All those risk I used to take when I was new to all this, too. Now I'm pro'lly too cautious.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu is my distro of choice, of crappy and decent machines. People say it isn't that light anymore, but my crappy netbook runs it perfectly. If you really do have something that can't run Xubuntu, then Lubuntu is pretty decent (I had a few power management issues with it though).
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast