Thread: VMware Server 2 on 11.04

Beans

VMware Server 2 on 11.04

I have been trying to install VMware Server 2 on Ubuntu 11.04 Server edition. I researched a bit and found a forum that discussed some of the installation solution but run into an error. The solution is to do the following (Solution provided by:Toddkaufmann).

Originally Posted by toddkaufmann
    "I've seen some conflicting instructions here, but this is what worked for me.
    I have the 11.04 Server, did an update to get the latest kernel and updates, and rebooted so I now have:
    2.6.38-10-server #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 16:31:00 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I may have added some extra packages (like kernel sources) in initial attempts to get this working, but I think the raducotescu script handles getting the packages you need.

1. Get VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.x86_64.tar.gz from the VMware site, register for free license key(s) etc.
    2. At https://github.com/raducotescu/vmwar...ee/release-1.6 there is a 'Downloads' button near the top; click it to get a popup that will let you select a tar.gz or zip file and download (the choice is yours). Put it in the same directory.
    3. Unpack the archive; for example,
    unzip raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-release-1.6-0-gbb26dce.zip
    4. Run the script:
    ./raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-e26b34e/vmware-server-2.0.x-kernel-2.6.3x-install.sh

This takes care of unpacking the VMware archive, patching scripts, other pre-requisites as well (I think), and starts up the installer.

From here, it was just Enter, Enter, Enter, ... the whole way, and everything built without a problem. "

When I tried to install the file I ran received the problem message below:

phil@ubuntu:~$ ./Downloads/raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-e26b34e/vmware-server-2.0.x-kernel-2.6.3x-install.sh
    This script must be run as root!
    phil@ubuntu:~$ sudo ./Downloads/raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-e26b34e/vmware-server-2.0.x-kernel-2.6.3x-install.sh
    [sudo] password for phil:
    There is no archive containing VMware Server in the path you indicated!

Can anyone help?

Beans

Re: VMware Server 2 on 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrone View Post
    I have been trying to install VMware Server 2 on Ubuntu 11.04 Server edition. I researched a bit and found a forum that discussed some of the installation solution but run into an error. The solution is to do the following (Solution provided by:Toddkaufmann).

Originally Posted by toddkaufmann
    "I've seen some conflicting instructions here, but this is what worked for me.
    I have the 11.04 Server, did an update to get the latest kernel and updates, and rebooted so I now have:
    2.6.38-10-server #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 16:31:00 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I may have added some extra packages (like kernel sources) in initial attempts to get this working, but I think the raducotescu script handles getting the packages you need.

1. Get VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.x86_64.tar.gz from the VMware site, register for free license key(s) etc.
    2. At https://github.com/raducotescu/vmwar...ee/release-1.6 there is a 'Downloads' button near the top; click it to get a popup that will let you select a tar.gz or zip file and download (the choice is yours). Put it in the same directory.
    3. Unpack the archive; for example,
    unzip raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-release-1.6-0-gbb26dce.zip
    4. Run the script:
    ./raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-e26b34e/vmware-server-2.0.x-kernel-2.6.3x-install.sh

This takes care of unpacking the VMware archive, patching scripts, other pre-requisites as well (I think), and starts up the installer.

From here, it was just Enter, Enter, Enter, ... the whole way, and everything built without a problem. "

When I tried to install the file I ran received the problem message below:

phil@ubuntu:~$ ./Downloads/raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-e26b34e/vmware-server-2.0.x-kernel-2.6.3x-install.sh
    This script must be run as root!
    phil@ubuntu:~$ sudo ./Downloads/raducotescu-vmware-server-linux-2.6.3x-kernel-e26b34e/vmware-server-2.0.x-kernel-2.6.3x-install.sh
    [sudo] password for phil:
    There is no archive containing VMware Server in the path you indicated!

Can anyone help?

as that error suggests I would check that folder to see if in fact that is where the file exists for you
    Linux Registered User #536617

Beans

Re: VMware Server 2 on 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by Jake.Debord View Post
    as that error suggests I would check that folder to see if in fact that is where the file exists for you
    You are correct. I was trying to run the command in the GUI rather than the terminal and as a result the script didn't properly find the archive. I ran the script in the terminal and dictated the path that was appropriate and it worked properly. Thanks for the help.

Beans

Talking Re: VMware Server 2 on 11.04

Thanks for posting, that worked for me, had to edit the name of the package in the install script as it wasn't picking it up though:

VMWARE_ARCHIVE=`ls "$VMWARE_HOME" 2> /dev/null | egrep "^(VMware-server-2.0.[0-9]-)[0-9]*.[A-Za-z0-9_]*.tar.gz"`

Changed to:

VMWARE_ARCHIVE=`ls "$VMWARE_HOME" 2> /dev/null | grep "Name of package.tar.gz"