Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USB slow transfer rate

Beans

Re: USB slow transfer rate

This Bug has me tearing my hair out.

It has been an issue for me for many years on two different machines & all distros since 8.04. I find it hard to accept that after all this time it remains unsolved. & the comments by some experienced users are really, very annoying. The initial 8.04 system that had the issue was an AMD Athalon system. However the functionality of Ubuntu has lead me to gradually transfer ever thing to the current machine Resulting in a monster that Linux handles with grace & aplomb.

MY Issue is that on any Fat 32 USB drive, large transfers of either large files or many small files. start at high speed the go into a stop small burst, stop small burst, mode. it affects all USB Thumb drives but the larger Newer drives will transfer bigger lumps faster before stalling e.g. an older 2G thumb drive will stall at approx 200meg & the new 32G Lexar drives pull down 480meg before stalling connecting the drive to a ******* virtualbox VM results in a steady transfer at USB1.1 speeds Usb hard drives fat32, NTFS, RIESERFS, EXT3 & EXT4 are unaffected.

Current system AMD PHENOM-2 X6 running 10.10 x64, 8G ddr2 memory, roughly 8 tb storage (1/3 on usb) with a copy of XP running SCADA Data collection & analysis 24/7 as a Virtual machine. A sweet heavily loaded system with one major issue that is really starting to bite me in the but. God forbid I have to migrate this monster back to *******!!!

Looking around I have come across many dozens of reports of this issue & no hint of a solution or indeed any real attempt to solve it.

While I am definitely no Linux Guru I certainly qualify as a long term power user & am not scared to dive in at the command prompt if someone has the patience to spell out what they need me to do or test, to get some traction on this issue. I am quite prepared to do what ever is needed & in my power to do.

Cheers all KG001

Beans

Add me. X86_64, 11.04. It was fine until the update to 11.04 (Ubuntu user since 8.04). I am currently copying 100MB to a USB stick and it is taking forever. The rate is 146.4KB/sec. If I use dd to write an image to the same stick, it's as fast as ever. This indicates that it may be a file system issue with FAT32.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same here. It starts out at 30 MByte/s until cache fills up, then it goes down to a few hundred kByte/s. What's even more annoying is that the whole system stops to a crawl: Every 5-10 seconds almost everything freezes for a couple of seconds. When transfering a few GBs will take me all day, having the computer freeze on me that whole period makes it annoying as hell. (Yes, it's happening as I'm writing this.)

Natty, AMD64, all USB ports, all thumbdrives..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

it has happened with me when i was using an old usb thumb drive but has never happened in any other newer thumbdrives , since ubuntu 10.04 to 11.10. when it happened , i was on ubuntu 11.10 x64.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank god I am not the only one! I re-installed Minty 12 (Ubuntu with a green look-n-feel) and discovered that copying to a USB thumbdrive was slow as molasses

Tried different thumb drives (2, 8, 16 GB formatted to EXt2, Ext3, Ext4, NTFS and FAT32) and all "stopped" working after the first file.

Tried OpenSUSE 12.1 KDE from a live CD yesterday and no problem there. So no hardware issue or BIOS setting as fas as I am concerned but definitely in the Ubuntu distro.

Note: I have no intention to switch to OpenSUSE. It was merely for testing purposes.

Hope someone can do something about it.

Greetz,

J@n
    Main desktop: Mint 12-AMD Phenom II X4 975-16GB- 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD + 2 TB + 1,5 TB (DIY)
    Storage: Synology CS-406-4x500 GB, DS-211-2x2TB
    Ubuntu user 33387

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/500069

Please click on the affects me button. And post a comment with info not just a "I've got this too."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi philinux,

Thank you for the tip. Just added my problem to the list (of 218).

I hope this will get solved in Ubuntu (hence it will be solved in Minty too!)

Greetz,

J@n
    Main desktop: Mint 12-AMD Phenom II X4 975-16GB- 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD + 2 TB + 1,5 TB (DIY)
    Storage: Synology CS-406-4x500 GB, DS-211-2x2TB
    Ubuntu user 33387

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

According to the bug-tracker linked to, the problem has been fixed in the latest kernels (3.3). Next Ubuntu release will use kernel 3.2, so it remains to be seen when this bug no longer affects us Ubuntu/derivatives users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the time being I've a workaround for this -
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1963360

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Until they fix this bug , you can try ionice command to copy quick your files.
    Example
    1) File game_of_thrones.avi (favorite series) its on /Downloads dir
    2) my usb flash drive kingston mounted on /media/kingston
    Then execute the command cp with ionice together
    Code:
    ionice -c 2 -n 0 cp /Downloads/game_of_thrones.avi /media/kingston

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast