Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Won't shut Down Completely

Beans

Ubuntu 11.04 Won't shut Down Completely

Hello to anyone, I'm kind of new to Linux, never used a lot of it. I freshly installed Ubuntu 11.04. After a few hours using it without any problems, installed the updates and installed some programs. I clicked the shut down option and it stay on. Keyboard and mouse shut down but the computer itself y is still powered on and in the monitor stays a purple splash screen of ubuntu. The only way is hitting the power button for fully shutting down.
    I searched and only found older post for version 10.10. I'd tried in the terminal command ¨sudo halt¨ once and everything powered off, powered up to tried it again and didn't work for the second time.

Its really strange because it stop powering the keyboard and mouse but the tower itself is still powered and giving a splash screen.

UPDATE: Is shutting down completely if I press the power button and clic in the option for shutting down. First time some text massage really fast, second time splash screen powering off normally. But somtines do not complete the shut down.

UPDATE2: Reinstalled ubuntu completely. Tested shutting down and almost did it, the 5 little circle under the ubuntu logo only 4 was filled and get stuck in the fifth. Downloaded updates and the shut down was fully normal. Installed the nvidia driver and the shut down is back with problem. It could be the video card?
    Last edited by canfu; June 11th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Won't shut Down Completely

Did you check the md5sum before you burned the iso to cd? In the 15+ years I've been using linux I've never had that happen. Hope some one can help ya. I find the linux kernel very stable. Is this the 32bit or 64bit version? One other thing I can suggest is to check you BIOs to see if it's set to auto restart on shutdown.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I always check and test the iso in many ways. The 11.04 installed is 32 bits. A few years ago I tested others linux and Ubuntu, i think it was version 7.04 back then in the same computer and nothing of this problems happened. I checked the BIOS if some settings where changed but are normal. But I searched in the internet and in forum and some have problem for shutting down normally and all was version 10.10 but they resolved back then with updates that was released in that time.
    Last edited by canfu; June 11th, 2011 at 03:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am also having this issue with 32 bit install. help!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by canfu View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I always check and test the iso in many ways. The 11.04 installed is 32 bits. A few years ago I tested others linux and Ubuntu, i think it was version 7.04 back then in the same computer and nothing of this problems happened. I checked the BIOS if some settings where changed but are normal. But I searched in the internet and in forum and some have problem for shutting down normally and all was version 10.10 but they resolved back then with updates that was released in that time.
    Lets hope they get a fix out soon for ya. Have you filed a bug report?
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What video cards do you all have?

Beans
    Distro

nvidia geforce 8200m G - with the latest drivers installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had a similar situation with a different graphics card. In my case, I needed to get to the shutdown messages (I think cntl-alt-del worked, or by running sudo shutdown -h now in a terminal). The freeze involved an exim4 file that supposedly had a non-zero size, and some mention of a possible update pending (not true).

The fix was to locate the file and delete it (as sudo). On odd occasions the problem would reappear though.

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but it is worth a look.

Good luck ...

Beans
    Distro

Well other than the shutdown/restart/hybernate issue, I love the OS. I've always been partial to any linux distro. I wish there was a fix out there for this. I hate to go back to windows. I am a network engineer and I just love running Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Logout>switch over to another virtual terminal and issue the shutdown command and watch for any errors or hangs. Nothing? Login and issue the command
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog
    see if anything stands out......note the times when you shutdown when referring to syslog.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast