Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failed downloads in upgrade from 8.10

Beans

Re: Failed downloads in upgrade from 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by sipickles View Post
    Still think its totally (thats the polite way of putting it!)
    Yea, it is kinda dumb...

But honestly, who has a server on 8.10? I'd say you're an extreme minority - and honestly Ubuntu provided plenty of opportunity to upgrade.

Ironically, if you were on the older version (8.04 LTS) you would've been able to go straight to 10.04 LTS. I would recommend this in the future, on server platforms staying with LTS releases, unless you want to upgrade every 6 months - which it seems like you do not want considering you were still on 8.10 .

This is the "recommended" method. Either stick to LTS and upgrade every 2 years, or if you want to stay on regular releases, make sure you upgrade every 6 months or so. Otherwise, you'll fall behind and run into another issue like this.

Microsoft doesn't have to keep up repo's like Ubuntu does, and I understand why Ubuntu does it the way that they do - they can't possibly support all the newer versions, and all the older versions, there's just too many. You just got caught out, like I said stick to LTS and make sure you upgrade before support has expired!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

After 9.10 was done installing I was able to upgrade to 10.04 LTS w/out issue.

I apologise for not using correct forum etiquette, lingo, post formatting or any other such things. I am new to linux and new to this forum. With both, I will get better with familiarity. Thanks for being patient with a newbie.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJimminy View Post
    After 9.10 was done installing I was able to upgrade to 10.04 LTS w/out issue.

I apologise for not using correct forum etiquette, lingo, post formatting or any other such things. I am new to linux and new to this forum. With both, I will get better with familiarity. Thanks for being patient with a newbie.
    Oh puh, you did just fine. Don't feel like you did something wrong...

Glad you got it working. Keep it on that LTS release, and then (before support expires!) get it on 12.04. You can go from LTS to LTS without issue (in theory )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'll keep up on it from here for sure, this sucked! I decided to switch from M$ and had a disk that had 8.10 on it. Installed it on my desktop and have been going from there. Now I gotta figure out how to tweak it to the way I want it once 10.04 is done installing. That and whether it is better to stick with LTS's or newer releases.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJimminy View Post
    I'll keep up on it from here for sure, this sucked! I decided to switch from M$ and had a disk that had 8.10 on it. Installed it on my desktop and have been going from there. Now I gotta figure out how to tweak it to the way I want it once 10.04 is done installing. That and whether it is better to stick with LTS's or newer releases.
    Here's my rule of thumb - server platforms, LTS. Desktops, newest release.

Unless there's something you absolutely need, LTS is usually fine for server. I don't really like upgrading my server more than I have to, mainly because it "just works". Hell, I know Linux servers that are just left and never really get updated. Usually these are servers that are not connected to the internet tho .

That's just my .02. There's no reason you can't upgrade a server to a non-LTS release obviously, it's just that those revisions are not supported with patches etc for as long as LTS releases. With the added benefit of jumping directly between LTS releases, and they're *typically* more stable, I don't see any downside to sticking with LTS IMHO.

As always, do what works best for you .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

10.04 LTS supported until late April 2013, after the next LTS release comes out in 2012, so you have plenty of time. You also have a year for 12.04 LTS to get stable before upgrading to that (which you will be able to do in a couple of clicks as LTS versions upgrade easily to the next LTS version).

As well advised already; stick with LTS releases for servers. They're made for that.

Beans

I had the same problem going from 8.10 to a newer version.

I managed to do it by cheating do-release-upgrade with

vi /etc/lsb-release

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=jaunty
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 9.04

This is not a safe way, but it seem to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaywhoopee View Post
    I've been following the guide at http://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades/Intrepid and got stuck at this stage too.

Having found your post I edited the /var/lib/update-manager/meta-release file and replaced all 40 or so occurrences of "archive" with "old-releases" which has worked for me.

Thanks for your help and sorry if this doesn't help you
    $ sudo do-release-upgrade
    Checking for a new ubuntu release
    Failed Upgrade tool signature
    Failed Upgrade tool
    Done downloading
    extracting 'jaunty.tar.gz'
    Failed to extract
    Extracting the upgrade failed. There may be a problem with the network or with the server.

I had same problem (Intrepid 8.10 server to Jaunty 9.04) and I found that this was the definitive solution for me. I can progress to the next upgrade just now

Anne

Beans

i had the same problem and this worked for me too. i thought that we only had to update sources.list... apparently meta-release is important too!
    thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12