View Poll Results: Where the internet will be in a century from now?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Planetary Brain with internet brain transplants

9 30.00%
  • Facebook is the internet

5 16.67%
  • Free for all, open source and knowledge economy.

12 40.00%
  • Sleaze Personified beyond all measure or scale

6 20.00%
  • "Walt Disney and Sony BMG" are the internet

4 13.33%
  • One big Apple Store

4 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of internet...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The future of internet...?

Facebook claims its on its way to displace google as the 'internet.'

Google has claims to mass-mind reading the entire world...

And MS... well is MS...

What is the future going to be something other than what it is today, say in the next century or so. (No 2012 comments plzz )

Is there going to be a 'brain' http://blogs.hbr.org/stibel/2008/06/...-a-brain.html? perhaps something a lil more sci fi? A mass movement of communist and/or currently underground cultural resources Or is it going to be a mass-media advertising ground? Or just a large number of servers hosting 'live college girls', akin to mussolini's joy division ?
    Last edited by cracker89; May 31st, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: The future of internet...?

Do you have any sources to backup these claims?

As to google being able to mass mind read. There is actually a bit of truth in that. I can't tell you how many times I'm working on my computer, something pops into my head and I google it. So yes, in a way I see where you come up with 'mind reading'.

I think in the poll I'm going to go with 'Facebook is the internet'. Seeing how there are more low level (I don't know if this is the correct term but I hope you understand what I mean) users for whom internet is nothing more then an extension of social environments (facebook, twitter, email, chatclients, ...). And you can't blame them, in one single link and a couple of clicks you can get everything that's going on in your friends' life, you can check the news, you get the picture. You can't argue with the fact that there are far less users who use IT and internet on a higher level (In a way I could use most of the users on this forum as an example). So, even though I don't even have a facebook or any equivalent I'm going with 'Facebook is the internet'.

Just a small note, by Facebook I don't mean Facebook per se. I mean web 2.0 in general
    Last edited by tapi0n; May 31st, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Rejoice, and in rejoicings, die.

Life is music

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A bit last going back 100 years and asking "Where will the horse and cart be 100 years from now"

10-20 years it might be possible to predict. But given the rate of change, whatever the internet becomes will be unrecognisable from what it is now.

If a time traveller from the future came back and started explaining whatever it was that the internet morphed into, we wouldn't even understand the words he was using.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

lol.. well yes.. google does that already. It catalogues ur searches and 'recommends' sites u 'might be interested in', using algorithms, like they always have.

I had read somewhere that facebook wanted to do something like that, only based on the searches and pages visited by your friends, they said that in a public announcement.

And lol, yep, a 100 years is a long time. but think about it, the greeks and the romans had stone and marble tablets with inscriptions, that survived buried under the earth for us to see.. our paper books will prolly burn and decompose and electronic storage melt or demagnetise before they'll be discovered if we were to end like they did mysteriously...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cracker89 View Post
    And lol, yep, a 100 years is a long time. but think about it, the greeks and the romans had stone and marble tablets with inscriptions, that survived buried under the earth for us to see.. our paper books will prolly burn and decompose and electronic storage melt or demagnetise before they'll be discovered if we were to end like they did mysteriously...

At least tablets could be translated. Should our current civilisation end. Should our computers, external storage media and disks be burried for hundreds of years I can Imagine that would render them completely useless. Noone will ever know what we've been doing with our magic boxes!

Life is music

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You assume that there'll be an internet in 100 years.

Beans
    Hidden!

Fools. I am in the internet.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    You assume that there'll be an internet in 100 years.

Why would you be so blasphemous?

Life is music

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I'll predict the future for you, no problem...
    • Facebook will launch their own search engine and will incorporate all info from your friends likes.
    • Google will still be struggling to make their own social network.
    • Yahoo dies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: The future of internet...?

Quote Originally Posted by frankbooth View Post
    I'll predict the future for you, no problem...
    • Facebook will launch their own search engine and will incorporate all info from your friends likes.
    • Google will still be struggling to make their own social network.
    • Yahoo dies.

Lol... its posthumous anywho..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast