Thread: mdadm suddenly not assembling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] mdadm suddenly not assembling

I have a computer running 10.10 as a simple fileserver, with an mdadm softraid5. It was working fine (I had to assemble the raid by hand after each reboot). Now it won't assemble, it keeps saying "two devices isn't enough to start the array" or "device or resource busy" (referring to one or more drive). I can see the drives with gparted, but still can't assemble the array. I'd appreciate any help on this matter.

I ran "sudo mdadm --assemble --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde /dev/sdf1" and got this: http://pastebin.com/TcrSr7k3
    *I know I'm using /dev/sde not /dev/sde1, I added the whole drive, not the first partition, I'd fix it, but it was working, and I don't want to play with it when I don't have it all working to begin with.
    Last edited by bobbob1016; May 29th, 2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Solved
    "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah." - Ash J Williams

That works as well as not following every step in a tutorial or walkthrough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: mdadm suddenly not assembling

I got is solved. When I did "sudo mdadm -E /dev/(each of the drives in the array)" I noticed that the superblocks said different things, but had the same "magic number". I did "sudo mdadm --assemble --force /dev/(array) /dev/(each drive)" and I got 4 out of the 5 to come back. It's a raid5, so I just added the 5th one back, and it's rebuilding. My data is still there though.
    "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah." - Ash J Williams

That works as well as not following every step in a tutorial or walkthrough.