Page 103 of 235 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hi everyone.
    I'm still not able to boot to windows 8 after all this time. Other people have tried to help me but with no results.

At this point i just wish to remove Ubuntu from this notebook so it only has W8 again.
    But i have no idea how i would go about doing that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Shipoopi View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I'm still not able to boot to windows 8 after all this time. Other people have tried to help me but with no results.

At this point i just wish to remove Ubuntu from this notebook so it only has W8 again.
    But i have no idea how i would go about doing that.
    Hi,

I would suggest that you open a new thread in General Help forum with an appropriate title and explain your situation and what you want to achieve.

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    Hi,

I would suggest that you open a new thread in General Help forum with an appropriate title and explain your situation and what you want to achieve.

Cheers -
    Hi Shipoopi,

In a new thread you could include a link back to your first post in this thread if you wish.

Hope that helps -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Beans

Having a heck of a time getting Ubuntu to boot after installing it.

I originally had Windows 7 setup and shrunk and added a partition as per some other instructions. All went well. I was able to boot from a LiveCD and install Ubuntu 12.10 onto the new primary partition. After completing and rebooting, it went straight to loading Windows 7. I have followed a couple of tutorials and have not received any errors, but I'm still not any closer to getting it to boot.

I ran boot-repair and it appeared to have completed ... here is my link http://paste.ubuntu.com/5711880/

I also tried the instructions listed in the following link - they all completed without any errors. http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair.../#.UWyoZqKG0WQ

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Please keep in mind I am very new. I was using Ubuntu with VDI to test it out, and besides an introductory course in shell scripting about 11 years ago most of this is pretty new.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You only have the Windows boot loader in the MBR of sdd, you you must have BIOS set to boot from the drive that is sdd if you are getting Windows.
    Change BIOS to boot from sda and you should get grub menu and the option to boot either Ubuntu or Windows.
    You only need a boot flag on Windows NTFS partitions that have boot files. But the only Windows install with boot files is sdd1 and you have two installs, sdc1 and sda1. I might copy (or maybe repair) your your other installs, so they have boot files.
    Windows normally installs boot files to the first install with the boot flag or in Windows the active partition. Then additional installs have no boot files of their own.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You only have the Windows boot loader in the MBR of sdd, you you must have BIOS set to boot from the drive that is sdd if you are getting Windows.
    Change BIOS to boot from sda and you should get grub menu and the option to boot either Ubuntu or Windows.
    You only need a boot flag on Windows NTFS partitions that have boot files. But the only Windows install with boot files is sdd1 and you have two installs, sdc1 and sda1. I might copy (or maybe repair) your your other installs, so they have boot files.
    Windows normally installs boot files to the first install with the boot flag or in Windows the active partition. Then additional installs have no boot files of their own.
    I'm not sure what you mean by changing the BIOS to boot from SDA. I don't see any options for something like that other than to change the boot order.

I should also only have 1 install of Windows, but maybe one of the other drives used for storage may have been a boot drive at some point before, I'm not sure. Now they all just contain data.

Is this a situation where I need to format windows and ubuntu and start over or is there something else I can correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

BIOS look different but you should have a one time boot key to test booting from sda. It is f12 on my system but it varies.

But you will have two boot choices in BIOS. One is the choice of device like hard drive, CD, floppy etc and another that is for which hard drive. Sometimes the which hard drive choice is a submenu under the device selection and others it is a totally different entry even on a different page of the BIOS settings.

Mine is a sub menu with a + indicating I have choices.

UEFI/BIOS Boot keys - about halfway down on this Microsoft page
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ows-to-go.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi YannBuntu,

After browsing the internet and trying to learn how to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 8 with UEFI I found this link
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    and it helped me to install a nice dual boot system

The computer is a Toshiba laptop specified in this link
    http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satellite-pro/c850/satellite-pro-c850-19w/
    delivered with Windows 7 installed and Windows 8 on two optical disks. It was straight-forward to make a dual boot Ubuntu & Windows system, and it was possible to install Windows 8 with normal BIOS, but I had never tried to climb Mount UEFI ...

So I set the UEFI mode (without quick boot and secure boot) and installed Windows 8. Then I booted from an Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS install USB 3 drive, repartitioned the drive with gparted and installed Ubuntu.

The installed Ubuntu worked at once, but had no Windows entry in the grub menu (and the grub menu was not displayed at all). However, it is possible to press F12 at reboot to get a boot options menu. When selecting the internal HDD/SSD, there is a second menu, where I could select Ubuntu or Windows. So the choice was there out of the box, but not very convenient.

Then I ran a Boot-Repair USB drive (via Unetbootin) and clicked on the "Recommended repair" button, and it did its magic: The following 25_custom file was created offering three working ways to boot Windows (the last one is a rescue boot option).

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry "Windows UEFI bkpbootmgfw.efi" {
    search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 1A06-328B
    chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi
    }

menuentry "Windows Boot UEFI loader" {
    chainloader (${root})/EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi
    }

menuentry "EFI/toshiba/Boot/bootmgfw.efi" {
    chainloader (${root})/EFI/toshiba/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    Here is the boot-repair dump file to make the report complete
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5713290/

Thanks a lot for a great tool

Beans

So I have a new Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530, with UEFI. My boss laughed a bit evilly while he challenged me to get Ubuntu dual-booting on it without screwing up the Win8 that it already has. Resizing the main Win8 partition, adding new partitions, and installing Ubuntu was easy, and much faster than on previous laptops I've used. Windows will not boot. I've gone through the whole boot-repair process many times, changing this or that without really making a difference. The problem seems to be that Lenovo loaded up the disk with a half-dozen partitions, not even counting the root, /home, and swap partitions I added. Somehow sda1 is some weird WINRE_DRV thing which has some recovery stuff in it. I'm thinking I need to move the current efi partition, sda2, up front, but I thought I'd ask.

Here's the paste.

Page 103 of 235 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast