Thread: Wayland, X, efficiency and system requirements

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wayland, X, efficiency and system requirements

Quote Originally Posted by jerenept View Post
    coughnvidiacoughcough
    lol, nvidia has bigger fish to fry. even the wayland devs know this which is why they ONLY support the open source driver. Your mileage is going to vary TREMENDOUSLY..

<-- Running NVidia, playing with wayland, having all sorts of compatibility issues...

cut and pasted directly from the wayland build docs:

"nVidia: Requires Nouveau (open source driver). DRM output requires a kernel built from the Nouveau git repository, details below. Cards probably work back to Riva TNT (1998). The latest series of chips, NVC0 / Fermi, released March 2010, requires loading external firmware for Nouveau, which is not documented."
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    There's also the giant pink elephant in the room named "videocard/driver support."
    Yeah I have a feeling the x compatability layer on top of wayland will be around for quote a long time lol.

Hopefully the open source drivers (Nouveau, Radeon, Intel) get ported to wayland relatively quickly. But the binary blobs will be trouble. Nvidia flat out said they won't support it, and who knows what amd will do. They have been supportive of open source lately, but even if they do decide to support wayland with catalyst we can be assured it will take forever lol.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    Yeah I have a feeling the x compatability layer on top of wayland will be around for quote a long time lol.

Hopefully the open source drivers (Nouveau, Radeon, Intel) get ported to wayland relatively quickly. But the binary blobs will be trouble. Nvidia flat out said they won't support it, and who knows what amd will do. They have been supportive of open source lately, but even if they do decide to support wayland with catalyst we can be assured it will take forever lol.
    Tell me about it.. I've asked colleages I have that work for NVidia about this very topic. Support for this is generally quickly responded to when I've asked: no. However, some people are still convinced that it will be distro ready in 5 years. If you even try to mention that they (Mark and Canonical) have the blinders on, they (the acolytes of Mark and Canonical) throw more blog dribble cool-aid at you as if it was the definitive source of all that will happen. It takes a lot more to sail a ship than a captain.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

There's also the giant pink elephant in the room named "videocard/driver support."
    But pink elephants are imaginary. Likewise, the driver situation is largely an imagined problem. If Wayland does what it claims to then there will be drivers. It's way too early to panic.

Nvidia flat out said they won't support it
    It's amazing how quickly things get exaggerated and distorted. Did they swear in blood never to support Wayland, to the end of time?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hyporeal View Post
    But pink elephants are imaginary. Likewise, the driver situation is largely an imagined problem. If Wayland does what it claims to then there will be drivers. It's way too early to panic.

It's amazing how quickly things get exaggerated and distorted. Did they swear in blood never to support Wayland, to the end of time?
    Its equally amazing how just as quickly a company will tell someone "no" and they'll assume it means 20 other things...

If you said the issue is an imagined issue, your head is thoroughly in the clouds ... or the sand, take your pick. Wayland has to run on SOMETHING, and the most fundamental of these somethings is hardware, which requires proper drivers to fully leverage, which the open source drivers are nowhere close to being able to deliver. If the hardware vendors are not getting behind it, maybe it's too early to panic, but it's definitely too early to even remotely start to consider a distribution timeline. It.is.not.supported. Until its embraced by at LEAST the major GPU developers of the world, its smoke and glass.
    Last edited by toupeiro; May 14th, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, but they did say "we won't support wayland" which is about as blunt as you can get.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

If you said the issue is an imagined issue, your head is thoroughly in the clouds ... or the sand, take your pick. Wayland has to run on SOMETHING, and the most fundamental of these somethings is hardware, which requires proper drivers to fully leverage, which the open source drivers are nowhere close to being able to deliver. If the hardware vendors are not getting behind it, maybe it's too early to panic, but it's definitely too early to even remotely start to consider a distribution timeline. It.is.not.supported. Until its embraced by at LEAST the major GPU developers of the world, its smoke and glass.
    I guess you'll consider it smoke and glass for a while longer then. I'll continue to have a less gloomy perspective.

No, but they did say "we won't support wayland" which is about as blunt as you can get.
    This is getting ridiculous. Give me a citation for that alleged quotation. A quick search for it yields only your post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't know what you were searching for but I googled and found this within seconds.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODc2Mg
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/11/n...pport-wayland/
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=11

"NVIDIA's Aaron Plattner has publicly stated, "We have no plans to support Wayland."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

IIRC they said "we have no plans to support it", which is not the same thing. Wayland isn't far enough along for them to devote time and resources to it. If I was in they're position, I wouldn't support it yet either.

Beans
    Distro

I guess you'll consider it smoke and glass for a while longer then. I'll continue to have a less gloomy perspective.

This is getting ridiculous. Give me a citation for that alleged quotation. A quick search for it yields only your post.
    Phoronix
    OMGUbuntu
    NVIDIA Forums

Where have you been searching?

EDIT:screaminjesus beat me.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast