Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you looked at Xubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you looked at Xubuntu?

I am looking at Xubuntu 11.04 from a CD disk. I am using it as I post these remarks. From first glance the Xfce desktop looks very nice and functional, much nicer than Unity. I'm weary of a desktop environment that (to quote another forum member) "looks like it needs a Unicorn", and Unity doesn't offer much hope. For me, I guess, this will probably be the year of Xubuntu. Has anybody else thought about switching to Xubuntu?

Beans

Re: Have you looked at Xubuntu?

I like Xubuntu, been playing with it a lot recently, actually.

I think I'll keep Gnome for a while yet, but it's certainly in the running. A few of my coworkers have converted to the 11.04 Xubuntu, it's quite popular with the ones who use OSX at home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Nope, I haven't tested Xubuntu 11.04. Anyway, if you need a pat on the shoulder for making your choice, then here you go, pat pat.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Nope, I haven't tested Xubuntu 11.04. Anyway, if you need a pat on the shoulder for making your choice, then here you go, pat pat.
    Just trying to make conversation...

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jfloydb View Post
    For me, I guess, this will probably be the year of Xubuntu. Has anybody else thought about switching to Xubuntu?
    OK, cue sound of broken record: I've switched to Xubuntu and I love it.

Beans

I was a long time KDE user. I also liked Gnome, my only issue was that KDE's Kwin was better then Compiz and Metacity. Then I discovered XFCE and I am full time XFCE user since 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been using Xubuntu since the days of Feisty Fawn and definitely prefer it to any other interface I've tried. Initially I was running on ancient hardware with very limited resources, but even after replacing that with current equipment have stayed with Xubuntu.

I tried Ubuntu itself at one point, but found it to be overloaded with eye candy for my taste. I've also tried Mint and Puppy, running in virtual machines, and found both to be unsatisfactory. I'm now experimenting with Debian Squeeze on one system, in preparation for a possible move to Debian if Xubuntu follows the Ubuntu lead in going toward Unity -- but installed its XFCE version so that it looks and feels almost the same as Xubuntu!

Xubuntu seems to have hit the right compromise between infinite customizability and ease of use, although it still has a few areas that lead me to some confusion, such as how to edit the system applications menu to reflect new packages or move existing ones. However as I continue to study the system internals, I can see that doing this is possible -- it just takes a bit more digging to learn how!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Xubuntu isn't exactly an XFCE distro. If you really want XFCE use a minimal install CD or a Debian net install.

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by K_45 View Post
    Xubuntu isn't exactly an XFCE distro. If you really want XFCE use a minimal install CD or a Debian net install.

Again the net install?
    You are right about that but if you want a full blown DE similar to Ubuntu but you dont like Unity, I think then Xubuntu is great, seems to be at least for me a viable alternative for Ubuntu Unity because its like you said very similar to the normal Gnome more as to pure Xfce's of Debian or whatever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivanovnegro View Post
    Again the net install?
    You are right about that but if you want a full blown DE similar to Ubuntu but you dont like Unity, I think then Xubuntu is great, seems to be at least for me a viable alternative for Ubuntu Unity because its like you said very similar to the normal Gnome more as to pure Xfce's of Debian or whatever.
    You can have a full blown DE without the bloat of (X)Ubuntu though I see your point.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast