Thread: when the support ends what will i do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Cool when the support ends what will i do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_...rty_Warthog.29

The naming of Ubuntu 10.10 was announced by Mark Shuttleworth on 2 April 2010, along with the release's goals of improving the netbook experience and a server focus on hybrid cloud computing. Ubuntu 10.10 was released on 10 October 2010 (10.10.10) at around 10:10 UTC. It is Canonical's 13th release of Ubuntu. New features included the new Unity interface for the Netbook Edition, a new default photo manager, Shotwell, replacing F-Spot and an official Ubuntu font used by default. Maverick Meerkat 10.10 will be supported until April 2012.

My question is after April 2012, with out updates to my system how will I continue to operate? I dont want to use 11.04 the desktop is ....

so what now?
    Youtube/user/unguidedone

Beans

Re: when the support ends what will i do?

Your computer will not explode April 2012, keep using 10.10 if it makes you happy.
    You won't get any more updates or support, so you will be responsible for supporting yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just remember, though, that without support and updates your system will possibly be less stable and secure; something worth thinking about.

Beans

When the support ends, switch to Debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: when the support ends what will i do?

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Your computer will not explode April 2012,
    ...but we can't promise anything past 12 December, 2012: http://www.greatdreams.com/end-world.htm

The future will soon be a thing of the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Unguidedone View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_...rty_Warthog.29

The naming of Ubuntu 10.10 was announced by Mark Shuttleworth on 2 April 2010, along with the release's goals of improving the netbook experience and a server focus on hybrid cloud computing. Ubuntu 10.10 was released on 10 October 2010 (10.10.10) at around 10:10 UTC. It is Canonical's 13th release of Ubuntu. New features included the new Unity interface for the Netbook Edition, a new default photo manager, Shotwell, replacing F-Spot and an official Ubuntu font used by default. Maverick Meerkat 10.10 will be supported until April 2012.

My question is after April 2012, with out updates to my system how will I continue to operate? I dont want to use 11.04 the desktop is ....

so what now?
    keep it going until your machine dies of old age
    Last edited by Script Warlock; May 3rd, 2011 at 07:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You can also just manually put in all the Updates you want... but if I were you, I wouldn't, it's just a lot of work.

Just install 11.04 and first try the power users manual to unity... If you still can't live with the new interface, just log in using gnome2 (logout and upon login choose "Ubuntu Classic" at the bottom of the screen)

Even in future updates, you'll still be able to have different Desktop environments running aside Unity. All you need to do is install them and set them as default

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

[/B]My question is after April 2012, with out updates to my system how will I continue to operate? I dont want to use 11.04 the desktop is ....

so what now?
    if the "issue" is not 11.04, but just the Unity Desktop...
    then there is no issue...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

[/B]My question is after April 2012, with out updates to my system how will I continue to operate? I dont want to use 11.04 the desktop is ....

so what now?
    When you're logging in, Click 'Session' and switch from Unity to Ubuntu Classic (No Effects). This is the Gnome desktop you prefer.

Because of the rather secure nature of the Debian/Ubuntu structure, you could just continue running 10.10 for the foreseeable future. It's not like it will suddenly get worse. Of course, if the Unity interface is all you're avoiding, just do the above.
    Please thank me! -> Yes, I am that shallow.
    I have Ubuntu on my laptop, Kubuntu LMCE on my media center & Xubuntu on my server. Anyone want to employ me as teacher so I can run Edubuntu?