Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to disable auto-maximize in 11.04

Beans

Exclamation How to disable auto-maximize in 11.04

Just upgraded to 11.04 and this drives me nuts. When an app/window is opened, if it is "sufficiently" large, it maximizes. I use eclipse. Eclipse is a screen-space hog, however I still need to be able to see other windows and the application bar around the edge of the eclipse window. Unfortunatly Unity(?) is fighting me on this set up because every time i relaunch eclipse, it becomes maximized even if I, the user, have explicitly un-maximized it.

How can I disable this auto-maximize behavior.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to disable auto-maximize in 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by jwadamson View Post
    Thanks
    That seems to the the $64 question (showing my age). I am trying to have 2 spreadsheets open, each one filling 50% of the screen. As soon as I get either one of the real close to the top of the window it pops to full screen ALA Window Aero.

A 'feature' like this should need to be turned on, not off.

It really and truly sucks.
    Ed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Try looking at the settings in the CompizConfig Settings Manager (ccsm). It isn't installed by default but in the software center you can install it. The name there is Advanced Desktop Effects Settings (ccsm).

Once you have that installed open it and go to the 'window management" category. There are a variety of options to adjust. I think the one the is bothering you is the one labeled "grid'". Uncheck that box and see if that fixes things.

Note: My top taskbar has a tendency to disappear or do weird things when I uncheck that box for instance. But just logging out and logging back in fixes it. And the setting has been successfully changed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jwadamson View Post
    Just upgraded to 11.04 and this drives me nuts. When an app/window is opened, if it is "sufficiently" large, it maximizes. I use eclipse. Eclipse is a screen-space hog, however I still need to be able to see other windows and the application bar around the edge of the eclipse window. Unfortunatly Unity(?) is fighting me on this set up because every time i relaunch eclipse, it becomes maximized even if I, the user, have explicitly un-maximized it.

Thanks
    You can't without building from source, then it's easy though I wouldn't disable, just up the threshold.

Part of the reason it was done was it fixed some bugs (4), whether that still applies not sure if anyone has looked at. I set it to 85% here on desktop, 87.5% on laptop (would not go too much further in case bugs are still valid, though you could try and see

if inclined the file to edit is this, a define right at the top of the file
    /src/PluginAdapter.cpp

PluginAdapter * PluginAdapter::_default = 0;

#define MAXIMIZABLE (CompWindowActionMaximizeHorzMask & CompWindowActionMaximizeVertMask & CompWindowActionResizeMask)
    #define COVERAGE_AREA_BEFORE_AUTOMAXIMIZE 0.75

#define MWM_HINTS_FUNCTIONS (1L << 0)
    Here's the bug I'd opened on the initial value, some recent comments, ect
    (but currently not open, feel free to set to new
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/708809
    Last edited by mc4man; May 2nd, 2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: link

Beans
    Distro

dual monitor

Im not even using gnome (kde), and I want to disable this auto maximize thing.

Im using dual monitor and I cant move windows from one monitor to the other because this maximize behavior...

I disabled "snapping Windows", "grid", "Resize Window" and all that seemed related to me, but the behavior continue... I can't use my dual monitor like this :/

I'd love to see unity working, but setting it as default when is obviously not ready yet, was a big failure... i am not even using gnome, wtf! :/

Beans

Re: dual monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Awareness View Post
    Im not even using gnome (kde), and I want to disable this auto maximize thing.
    The " auto maximize" deal here is only part of the unity plugin itself, what's that got to do with kde?

Beans
    Distro

Re: dual monitor

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The " auto maximize" deal here is only part of the unity plugin itself, what's that got to do with kde?
    The windows does not maximize, they maximize only to half of the screen when I move them to the right edge of the screen. Ive got unity plugin disabled on compiz and all the others plugins I just told... but I still have this behavior.

Does anybody know how to disable it? Its new behavior in 11.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by edpatterson View Post
    That seems to the the $64 question (showing my age). I am trying to have 2 spreadsheets open, each one filling 50% of the screen.
    Try Super + Alt + NumPad6 to put one of the windows to the right hand side, and Super + Alt + NumPad4 to put the other window to the left side. Not at my Ubuntu computer right now, so I don't know if those shortcuts will make the windows fill exactly 50% of the screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cragwolf View Post
    Try Super + Alt + NumPad6 to put one of the windows to the right hand side, and Super + Alt + NumPad4 to put the other window to the left side. Not at my Ubuntu computer right now, so I don't know if those shortcuts will make the windows fill exactly 50% of the screen.
    I hate to sound like an idiot but what is a Super key?

I doesn't really matter. I have gone back to 10.10 for now. It was just way to frustrating.

Ed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Super is the name for the key with the Windows or Mac logo.

Cipherboy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast