Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Natty Info: Your UI options

Beans

Re: Natty Info: Your UI options

I'm think I'm starting to regret upgrading to 11.04 I've managed to get it back to my classic look but now I'm forced to used matacity without out any effects, when I try to use compiz I have no window titles or minimize and close buttons and half of the effects seem to have vanished

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gioman22 View Post
    I'm think I'm starting to regret upgrading to 11.04 I've managed to get it back to my classic look but now I'm forced to used matacity without out any effects, when I try to use compiz I have no window titles or minimize and close buttons and half of the effects seem to have vanished
    Compiz should work if Unity works. The buttons have to do with the global menu. You can remove it by uninstalling the package indicator-appmenu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Compiz should work if Unity works. The buttons have to do with the global menu. You can remove it by uninstalling the package indicator-appmenu.
    Problem solved in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748920
    Last edited by gioman22; May 5th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Great info, and thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know its weird to say this but after using unity for a while and its hard to go back to gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by benc1213 View Post
    I know its weird to say this but after using unity for a while and its hard to go back to gnome.
    You have been assimilated for the good of the collective.

The Borg - I mean The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    Yeah - that menu is very much like the 'classic' menu:

I showed it in the first post, but didn't really explain how to get to it:

<snip>

Glad you also found it, nogger, otherwise I would have worried I was imagining things (again).
    Took me a while to even realise menu's were up there. I did an upgrade and for some weird reason the custom appearance set the menu text colour to almost the identical colour as the bar. Was only after looking at some of these comments that I realised the menu even existed O.o

Damn nice review btw, didn't realise you could right mouse click on the applications button and get that particular menu. There's also a review of all the short cuts that I found very useful, I do love the window repositioning/resizing shortcuts, so powerful.

Cheers,

James.
    In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the stakes at issue - Sayre's Law

Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait - Henri Estienne

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjenner View Post
    Damn nice review btw...
    Thanks! Folks keep contributing to it, so it has taken on a life all it's own...

The Hedge

Last edited by Hedgehog1; May 8th, 2011 at 04:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    I am not seeing the point of the classic Desktop and the other options, if you don't want Unity you could have just stayed with Maverick. No one is required to upgrade to Natty and frankly it is not that stable at this point even without Unity (though a lot of bugs are probably Unity related) I have a test install of Natty and the main point is to test out Unity.
    Many folks got the 'pop up' telling them to upgrade, and they did. I do share much of your point of view about it not being as stable as I would have preferred; the offer to upgrade should have been delayed by a month or two.

I would have preferred that there was no 'upgrade to natty' using the update manager, and instead folks were offered the ISO to burn and upgrade from that. This way folks would have media to do emergency repairs and normal disk/partition maintenance for their Natty install.

Getting the user-base at large to not upgrade right away is like fighting a tidal wave. Most folks want something new when offered; the temptation/urge is just too strong.

The Hedge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I agree with Hedgehog. I wonder if the upgrade rush actually contributed in part to some of the instability we are all seeing.
    I was no different to most and did the upgrade, albeit from the ISO disc but still had difficulty and have since reverted to Maverick and am happy with that. I will run Natty again on a separate machine to learn but I was wrong to have the expectation that it, as a new system, could immediately replace what I was happy with. The error was mine...I am still very new and inexperienced and the developers of Natty should be congratulated with what they have presented, even if it is a bit too early for some of us to grasp.
    Toshiba Satellite L300
    'Keeping on trying is not so trying after all'

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast