Thread: eclipse group

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

eclipse group

I've installed eclipse and android manually at /opt.
    How do I make /opt/android writable by eclipse ? I don't want to chmod it to 777.
    Specifically I need to know the group eclipse belongs to.
    Ubuntu 12.06 x86_64 • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB cache 1066MHz Intel MoBo DG33
    8GB DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz • 1GB 8600 GT nVidia Graphics Card • Dell SP2309W • LG Flatron L222WS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: eclipse group

I am not sure whether it's the application's group ID or the user's that's effective here. Anyway, to find out Eclipse's group, just do an ls -l /opt/eclipse, replacing /opt/eclipse with the right path to the Eclipse binary if that's not it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Did you have to install Eclipse at that location? Rather than futz around with system permissions, why not just install Eclipse to a folder off your home directory? Eclipse doesn't care where it is, and it would make your programming environment much simpler and easier to manage.
    OpenSUSE: Dell Inspiron 8600 and Gateway GT5678
    MacOS X 10.5.8 PowerBook G4 12"
    Linux user #: 501795

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes. Eclipse is at /opt/eclipse and android at /opt/android
    Rather than futz around with system permissions, why not just install Eclipse to a folder off your home directory?
    Im syncing /home/username to my S3 account. I want /home/username to be only data and not programs.

For now I got it writable by my username, but I would prefer it writable by the group like www-data for apache. But since this is a desktop, I guess this is ok ?
    sudo chgrp -R username android/
    chmod -R g+w android/