Thread: Crime & Punishment censorship?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Crime & Punishment censorship?

Hi,

I'm currently reading this edition of Crime & Punishment (ISBN 0-553-21175-7) and noticed something strange someone may be able to shed some light on. It seems that street names and landmarks such as bridge names have been censored. Whenever a street name or landmark is mentioned only the first letter is shown followed by a long line, for example:
    Raskolnikov walked straight to X----- Bridge, stood in the middle, and leaning both elbows on the rail stared into the distance.
    Is this Soviet-era censorship? Perhaps the street names and bridges have been named after royals and the commies didn't want them mentioned, or is it something else?

I also noticed strange spelling. "he waked" instead of "he awoke", or "to-day" instead of "today". Is this old English or just translator's/editor's mistake?

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans

Re: Crime & Punishment censorship?

Quote Originally Posted by x1a4 View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently reading this edition of Crime & Punishment (ISBN 0-553-21175-7) and noticed something strange someone may be able to shed some light on. It seems that street names and landmarks such as bridge names have been censored. Whenever a street name or landmark is mentioned only the first letter is shown followed by a long line, for example:

Is this Soviet-era censorship? Perhaps the street names and bridges have been named after royals and the commies didn't want them mentioned, or is it something else?

I also noticed strange spelling. "he waked" instead of "he awoke", or "to-day" instead of "today". Is this old English or just translator's/editor's mistake?
    I read the Oxford World Classics edition a few years ago and the same thing happens in there. I'm not sure why this is but the translator of the one I have has a Western name (Jessie Coulson) so I don't think it would be politically motivated, since Dostoyevsky's original text would have been available in the West and it was probably translated from that rather than any version the Soviet government put out.
    One of my favourite novels, by the way!!

andy
    I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a high grade for such a design (Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

These were "coded" by Dostoevsky himself.

In Russian:
    http://dostoevsk.narod.ru/crime.html

Google translation:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by DZ* View Post
    These were "coded" by Dostoevsky himself.
    Thanks. Boy was I off.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens