Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to remove the gnome pannels without removing them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

how to remove the gnome pannels without removing them?

This needs a brief explanation...

As you know pannels can be hidden, thats how I have them now, but when I put the cursos at the very top, or bottom, of the screen, they pop up, I want them out of my screen, BUT, I want a way to return them if someday I want them to return, so I want to remove the pannels, with the option of restoring them if I want to.

Thanks.
    Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: how to remove the gnome pannels without removing them?

Right click the panel in question choose properties on the General tab choose Show Hide Buttons (Place a check in the box) click close now display panel and click the new arrow this will hide the panel to the side and now when you move your mouse to the top the panel wont show (HINT: Choose the arrow opposite of how you click the X at the top either left or right)
    Currently A Command Line Flunkie an a GUI Junkie
    I believe in Jesus Christ

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by argedion View Post
    Right click the panel in question choose properties on the General tab choose Show Hide Buttons (Place a check in the box) click close now display panel and click the new arrow this will hide the panel to the side and now when you move your mouse to the top the panel wont show (HINT: Choose the arrow opposite of how you click the X at the top either left or right)
    I have left the upper pannel, I can restore the bottom one from it, but the button solution does not convince me, I would rather prefer something that wipes it, without leaving any graphics on the screen.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you use panelrestore to back up your panel you can delete it completely, and then restore it later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Do you have some sort of dock? I used Ubuntu Tweak to change the settings so that my default panel is Docky.

You can also go through gconf-editor to change this yourself Alt+F2, type gconf-editor, then go to desktop/gnome/session/required_components. Where it says panel, you can change it to whatever command you want. I'm not sure that you can just delete it entirely though. Seems the ability to use Alt+F2 disappears after removing your panel, too, so you'll need some other way to edit gconf if you do this.

Hope that helps!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tylerannosaurus View Post
    Do you have some sort of dock? I used Ubuntu Tweak to change the settings so that my default panel is Docky.

You can also go through gconf-editor to change this yourself Alt+F2, type gconf-editor, then go to desktop/gnome/session/required_components. Where it says panel, you can change it to whatever command you want. I'm not sure that you can just delete it entirely though. Seems the ability to use Alt+F2 disappears after removing your panel, too, so you'll need some other way to edit gconf if you do this.

Hope that helps!
    I use AWN dock, with ubuntu tweak I made a backup of my desktop, but I didnt saw an option for changing the pannels to awn or deleting them, how do you do that?.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Lancro View Post
    I use AWN dock, with ubuntu tweak I made a backup of my desktop, but I didnt saw an option for changing the pannels to awn or deleting them, how do you do that?.

Thanks.
    It's under the heading "Session Control". The default is gnome-panel, not sure what the command to bring up awn is (maybe just awn?) for me I just typed "docky"...same command you'd use in terminal. You'll have to log out/in for the effect to take place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Lancro View Post
    Bump.
    You bump your own post. I reply. You ignore.

If my post at #5 wasn't helpful, please say why. That way I can offer better (or less) advice in the future

Best wishes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tredegar View Post
    You bump your own post. I reply. You ignore.

If my post at #5 wasn't helpful, please say why. That way I can offer better (or less) advice in the future

Best wishes.
    Sorry, I forgot, I have downloaded the program, a script to restore the default pannels might become usefull, but I cant delete the top pannel, I have deleted the lower pannel, but now I have the top pannel, and I dont know how to delete it, I need a script to delete it as well?, I dont know how to get rid of that pannel, with your shell script I dont need to keep one pannel more, but I need the option to delete it.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast