Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Main Reasons More People are not Using Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post The Main Reasons More People are not Using Linux

Since I have been on these forums, I have heard many opinions as to why more people are not using Linux. I've heard that it's because of reasons such as lack of better compatibility, and not many ported priority softwares such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. I have also heard that it's because most of the popular games are mainly available for just Windows, hence, this turns off a lot of gamers. I've heard other reasons stated as well, but these are just a few that came to mind. However, though I do believe that these issues may prevent people from desiring to try Linux, I don't necessarily believe they are the main reasons why more people are not using Linux. For me, the two primary reasons why more people are not using Linux are misconception and ignorance.

Misconception – a large percentage of people never think about trying Linux because of the misconception that it is mostly a command line OS that only the technically savvy can operate. I was a part of this group. I heard about Linux years ago but never decided to try it out because I thought that performing most task would require learning and using command line. I found that intimidating. I didn't actually see that the opposite was true until I came across a Youtube video that was showing off what Linux and Ubuntu could do. I bet if a lot of people who are using pirated versions of Windows knew they had a free alternative that was just as easy to use as Windows, they would go legit without second guessing.

Ignorance - The other major group of people who haven't thought about trying Linux just don't know about it. These are often the average person who doesn't really care about which OS they are running. They only care about using something that is pleasing on the eyes and will do a good job of browsing the internet... Facebook, Youtube, instant messengers, etc. They just want to be able to play their music, watch videos and do simple everyday computer stuff. In this group you usually find those that often get frustrated by viruses and would listen to any recommendation that will prevent them from having another horror experience with viruses. I do offer a bit of computer support to people I know. Whenever I come across the reoccurring virus cases, I always use the opportunity to recommend Ubuntu as the perfect solution.

I firmly believe the two reasons mentioned above are the primary reasons more people are not using Linux and not so much the common notions that were mentioned earlier. Another thing... being that Linux is mainly about free open source software, it will always be difficult to compete with the commercial power of Microsoft (Microsoft spends millions on promotions – Linux rely mainly on the word getting out via its community). For this reason alone, I can't see Linux ever gaining ground on Microsoft in terms of the desktop market. Not even Apple will ever come close to them; well, at least not with their current model. I am confident that the popularity of Linux will continue to grow, but I don't expect it to ever surpass Windows. It would take a major slip up from Microsoft in order for that to happen. That is very unlikely though. If Linux is to gain significant ground on any desktop OS, it's more likely to be Apple's OS than Microsoft's.

Beans
    Distro

Re: The Main Reasons More People are not Using Linux

I should add - A smaller amount of people are of the common notion than those who are ignorant or hold to the common misconception.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Open source is not a magic box where as MS and Apple are generally. The Magic box though comes with some caveats, in the MS case lack of education for the users which leave them in a bit of the crossfire of a big target of the web nastyware. Apple has its own proprietary issues but not a bad way to go.

I think the average user wants to "set it and forget it" if I can borrow a snippet from Ron Popeil.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

"Only smart people use linux."

1. Misconception

2. Ignorant
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Also, our lack of support leads to a relative lack of a user base and hence lack of more support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are some big international success stories:

50 Places Linux is Running That You Might Not Expect

http://www.focus.com/fyi/information...ht-not-expect/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    There are some big international success stories:

50 Places Linux is Running That You Might Not Expect

http://www.focus.com/fyi/information...ht-not-expect/
    This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're welcome!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've given this topic a lot of thought over the past five years, and I think it boils down to three major obstacles:
    • Ease of acquisition. It is far easier to get a Windows- or Mac-preinstalled computer than to get a desirable and appropriately priced readily available Linux-preinstalled computer. So the vast majority of Linux adopters have to be tech-savvy enough to know how to download and burn an .iso, boot from CD, possibly repartition a drive, etc. That is definitely a minority of users. You could argue "Well, the less tech-savvy can always have their tech-savvy friends install and configure Linux for them." My experience has been that less tech-savvy computer users tend to be extremely afraid of change (and I don't even mean extreme changes like the whole operating system--even little ones like small settings changes within a program or moving the taskbar somewhere else). Many of them are fearful that their computers were working "just fine" before and that whatever their tech-savvy friends propose as a change will screw things up.
    • Suspicion and fear of the unknown. Because many less tech-savvy computer users are afraid of change, they also react to problems in change differently. If they have a problem with Windows, they just think everybody has problems and are far more likely to just say "Computers are some finnicky" than to say Windows is the problem, but if they're new to Linux and Linux has any problem, however small, they're far more likely to attribute that to a Linux deficiency than to computer use in general. Windows can't print = "I'm having trouble with my printer." Linux can't print = "Why can't Linux just use my printer? I want Windows back!"
    • Vendor lock-in.You've heard it time and again that some users need 100% (not 99.999%) compatibility with Microsoft Office. I know a lot of people with iPhones or iPod Touches. I even know some iTunes users who have DRM'ed iTunes songs from back int he day (they are no longer DRM'ed, but old purchases still are). This is where the Linux evangelist will say "Oh, but Microsoft Office 2007 works just fine in Wine" or "Ubuntu now has support for iPhones built in because of libimobiledevice." Uh, not good enough. Hacks and workarounds that almost sort of kind of get things working... or get things working until the next release or firmware update aren't good enough. These users are used to a seamless experience where playlists update, everything syncs, and every new version of Office will install, not just what's approved as Platinum in the Wine App Db right now.
    When I take these three things into account and think about all the Windows users I know who are miserable with Windows, it's sad, but I can't really think of anybody who would be an excellent candidate to switch over to Linux. It's either vendor lock-in, fear of the unknown, or both.

Beans

every linux distroi tried works perfectly with my hardware, especially ubuntu. i think the reason most people use windows is cuz they r comfortable with windows and don't wanna learn something else, they don't think a free operating system can be as good as a $200 dollar one(it actually is better than windows), they don't ever hear about it cuz linux doesn't really have any ads on tv, and cuz windows is preinstalled on almost every computer!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast