Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 vs Linux Mint 10

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Ubuntu 10.10 vs Linux Mint 10

I've been looking at reviews for Linux Mint. So far, it sounds pretty good. The one thing I see come up more often is the better driver support is seem to offer over Ubuntu. I've used Linux Mint 9 quite a bit, but only played around with Mint 10 rc for a few days in VB. While I was impressed, it has never really tempted me to switch from Ubuntu. Though I like Mint, I feel far more at home using Ubuntu, so would never give up Ubuntu for it.

What does the community think about the comparison between the two in terms of stability, support, and others?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 vs Linux Mint 10

Mint is really just the same OS as Ubuntu anyway. Sure, it's tweaked a little, and has a shiny new front end, but everything else is the same.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have Mint on 2 machines now, just installed a week ago or so, and it seems to have no better hardware support than Ubuntu. Since it's based on it and I require the exact same steps to enable sound a wifi, I suspect they're identical for the most part for hardware support. I seem to keep making my way back to Ubuntu every time.

Beans

Mint has a Fluxbox edition (Ubuntu doesn't) if you're into that.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    You can always install fluxbox in Ubuntu if you wish. I am fixing up an old machine for a friend. Gnome desktop even with Compiz is generally ok except for more computational demanding jobs so I have also installed openbox and fluxbox so he can switch to different desktop environments to fit the occasion.

From what I gather Mint is basically Ubuntu just with a different appearance and some proprietary stuffs preinstalled (it plays youtube out of the box without having you to install flash yourself) This is not a problem to most Ubuntu users anyway. I don't like the Mint interface, looks too much like Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    You can always install fluxbox in Ubuntu if you wish. I am fixing up an old machine for a friend. Gnome desktop even with Compiz is generally ok except for more computational demanding jobs so I have also installed openbox and fluxbox so he can switch to different desktop environments to fit the occasion.

From what I gather Mint is basically Ubuntu just with a different appearance and some proprietary stuffs preinstalled (it plays youtube out of the box without having you to install flash yourself) This is not a problem to most Ubuntu users anyway. I don't like the Mint interface, looks too much like Windows.
    Setting up fluxbox or openbox on Ubuntu can be tricky. it doesn't come "ready" like gnome-desktop or kubuntu-desktop, it's bare bones, blank screen with no .rc files configured. What I like about #! and Mint fluxbox is that it does come ready and usable. I'd love a good and *updated* guide for installing *box on ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post

Since I have to use XP also, I found myself getting mixed up with the buttons on the left side in Ubuntu. So in XP I would be dragging my mouse to the upper left to close/minimize/etc. windows. Using Mint makes the transition back and forth to be a no-brainer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin
    Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    I have Mint on 2 machines now, just installed a week ago or so, and it seems to have no better hardware support than Ubuntu. Since it's based on it and I require the exact same steps to enable sound a wifi, I suspect they're identical for the most part for hardware support. I seem to keep making my way back to Ubuntu every time.
    This was what kept happening to me whenever I tried to use Mint as my main OS. Their software center freezes a lot more than in Ubuntu as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Never tried Fluxbox before. I'll probably give it a test run in VB when I get the chance.
    Last edited by uRock; November 24th, 2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Merged Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

mint is less buggy
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looking for a slightly lighter distro for a installation in a troublesome dell laptop a friend has. I set up mint 10 in Vbox runs way better then Ubuntu of any kind in Vbox, not all the bells a whistles but in a virtual it is hard to tell with pseudo graphics drivers.

I would say it is not bad didn't see what codecs were in the install just installed the ones I know work, but seems like a okay setup.