Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firefox 4 - No More Status Bar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox 4 - No More Status Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Will it remove the link destination on hover from the address bar? Or is there a chrome:ui / about:chrome setting for that? (Like MaxRichResults, which I always turn off.)
    It has an option to remove the link target display from the address bar, options to display the loading progress bar inside the address bar and several information widgets to put in the new add-ons bar. You should try it, is really good.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    It has an option to remove the link target display from the address bar, options to display the loading progress bar inside the address bar and several information widgets to put in the new add-ons bar. You should try it, is really good.
    I don't have firefox 4 yet, however, I'm waiting for stable (Due next year in spring, sadly.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I guess I don't understand what the big deal was. Hasn't the status bar always been an option? Just check it if you want it, uncheck if not?

I prefer having it, to see where a link goes. Showing it in the URL bar seems very cluttered, there's a lot more room in the status bar for longer links.

An add-on is fine, I just can't imagine cutting the code for the status bar did that much for them...

Beans

I just took a look at the beta... I didn't find it to be distracting or annoying in the address bar, it was pretty cool.

However, and this is perhaps me being absurdly nit-picky... the status bar is something your eyes flick to for a very brief moment. It seems our brains more naturally flick down to something than up. Take out a sheet of text and compare how it feels to flick your eyes up 5 lines vs. down 5 lines. Down is just easier for some reason.

Maybe that's just me being crazy..
    -Mike

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    The new add-ons bar is really an improvement, because you can drag any toolbar widget to it. However, the new target display in the address bar is horrible. It is useless for me.
    I doubt it is truly 'useless' to you, however it is useless to me. Don't believe me? Allow me to demonstrate the extent of the problem I have with it:

The target URL is there (as you can see if I edit the image to make it visible), but the colour Firefox has decided it should have is so similar to the text background colour I use on this system that it is completely impossible to see it with the naked eye. Hence the new target display is 100% without any function to me as I literally can't use this feature until this colour problem is fixed.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't have firefox 4 yet, however, I'm waiting for stable (Due next year in spring, sadly.)
    It's already a lot more stable than Firefox 3.6 (or 3.7, whichever is the latest stable)

Beans

http://firefox.uservoice.com/forums/...uld-be-canned-

Status Bar is completely removed in Firefox 4, instead, an add-on bar will replace it.
    I did try the beta under my previous Jaunty installation, and the biggest improvement, IMO, was it's significantly faster performance overall. But the removal of the status bar was a big turn-off for me; as other posters have mentioned, I find it really useful for checking the URLs of links and progress of page retrieval, and control Adblock and NoScript from it. Yes, there might be add-ons that might replicate it, but it was a mistake, IMHO, to permanently turn it off, when an option already exists to hide it, and other options to auto-hide it, like in Chrome, would've been better. I'll stick with version 3.x as long as possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TiBaal89 View Post
    I just took a look at the beta... I didn't find it to be distracting or annoying in the address bar, it was pretty cool.

However, and this is perhaps me being absurdly nit-picky... the status bar is something your eyes flick to for a very brief moment. It seems our brains more naturally flick down to something than up. Take out a sheet of text and compare how it feels to flick your eyes up 5 lines vs. down 5 lines. Down is just easier for some reason.

Maybe that's just me being crazy..
    No, it's our ingrained reaction from long use of books and looking down for the footnotes.

I never click any link, especially heading to a site I've not been before, without checking the URL, so the status bar is useful for me, and having the link appear incompletely in the location bar is next to useless. Oh well, maybe the Firefox developers would add an about:config variable that we could set to get the status bar back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    Yes, there might be add-ons that might replicate it, but it was a mistake, IMHO, to permanently turn it off, when an option already exists to hide it, and other options to auto-hide it, like in Chrome, would've been better. I'll stick with version 3.x as long as possible.
    I also believe it was a mistake to remove the info functionality. However, the statusbar itself was old and inflexible. The add-ons bar is a lot better, because you can easily organize stuff you need in the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    I never click any link, especially heading to a site I've not been before, without checking the URL, so the status bar is useful for me, and having the link appear incompletely in the location bar is next to useless. Oh well, maybe the Firefox developers would add an about:config variable that we could set to get the status bar back.
    As I said, get Status-4-Evar and you will be more satisfied than with the old statusbar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oh yes, I'd noticed this without realising the status bar was missing. It opens up more screen space, but limits the length of link you can see. Which, to be honest, isn't a massive problem. Generally, you just wanna see if you're being sent to Google.com, or BigDangerousSite.com
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123