Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adobe-acknowledged petition to bring their Creative Suite to Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Adobe-acknowledged petition to bring their Creative Suite to Linux

I don't know a single Photoshop user who actually bought it unless they used it for their job.

At the same time, it's ludicrous to say that Gimp is as good as Photoshop in a production-level environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jcolyn View Post
    The average user will never use all of the features Adobe has in their suite so why pay an outrageous price for something that can be had in Gimp and/or DigiKam or other Linux editing program???

Doesn't make sense to me.............
    Thank you.
    I had to do it.

Beans

Many photographers would love to be able to use Lightroom 3, & Photoshop in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't really know what the market for something like Creative Suite is on the desktop, for Windows and OSX even. Let's be realistic, in a business environment they're going to buy the suite because the fines and penalties associated with getting caught using pirated software are just too big to take a chance on. While a home user can pirate pretty much every commercial application they'd want to use and run effectively a zero risk of getting caught. How many home users that use CS actually purchased it? One of the courses the college I attend teaches is graphic design and since the school doesn't supply copies of any of the commercial software they use to the students, I'd be willing to bet that upwards of 90% of the students who want to do their school work at home are using pirated copies.
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post
    I don't know a single Photoshop user who actually bought it unless they used it for their job.

At the same time, it's ludicrous to say that Gimp is as good as Photoshop in a production-level environment.
    I don't use all the features in Photoshop. Sometime I find it to be overkill so I settle for Gimp even in Windows days. It is not better than Photoshop but I find it suit my needs. I always want to get the image right the first time and not rely image processor to correct the image.

Anyway I voted just in case I might need it in the future and hope more user will be attracted to Linux.

Beans

These petitions have been done many times and never accomplish anything, to me its pointless to keep sending them to adobe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As a designer I am tied to using industry standard software such as Adobe's Creative Suite to stay compatible with my clients and commercial printer's etc. I did start using Creative Suite on Windows but when I told clients/colleagues you would have thought I had committed a crime and many of them fell to the floor gasping for air. This was particularly true with print production/publishers. So now I only run Creative Suite on a, rather expensive, Mac.

I do occasionally use GNU apps such as GIMP and Bluefish on my Linux PCs but I don't admit it to customers, what they don't know won't bother them. As long as I can deliver compatible file formats they are as happy as Larry.

I still doubt we will be seeing Creative Suite on Linux though. If we do I'll eat my Acer netbook.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans

I am going to point Adobe to the post above. I am sure one of them would desire to see someone eat a netbook enough to port it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I voted.

Anyone else see this CW article back in April?:

Ubuntu Wants Adobe, Even if Apple Doesn't
    Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux, would welcome Adobe.

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, Computerworld Apr 25, 2010
    Canonical marketing manager Gerry Carr told me that "in a recent survey we did of the Ubuntu User base where we got 32,000 plus responses, Adobe Photoshop as a potential application for Ubuntu got a 3.52 rating out of 5 being the second most popular potential app after Skype."

That doesn't come as any surprise to me. Photoshop has long topped the list of most wanted proprietary programs on Linux users' wish list.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/19495...le_doesnt.html

Beans
    Hidden!

I voted
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast