Thread: Previously Installed Software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Previously Installed Software

Hi everybody. I am planning to upgrade to 12.04 and intending to do it by a fresh install once it is released. I am using a fresh install to ensure that I have a nice clean new system that doesn't include any errors that I have made on the way in 11.10. This of course would mean a complete re-install of all the apps I am running that I want to keep and am prepared to do this...but I came across this post :

http://ubuntuguide.net/reinstall-all...ubuntu-install

and wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with this method and if it is safe or reliable to do. I have tested the method to the point of 'saving the markings' to an external drive but looking at the contents of that saved file, I am fairly sure that everything has been copied including all system installations. Would this mean a conflict between version installations if I tried to re-install software using this method?

Any comments welcome. Thanks
    Toshiba Satellite L300
    'Keeping on trying is not so trying after all'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Previously Installed Software

It has worked for me. However, just use some common sense-if something requires the whole of KDE, or wants to remove Unity, it may not be a good idea.

Good luck with 12.04, shaping up to be a nice release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Previously Installed Software

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    It has worked for me. However, just use some common sense-if something requires the whole of KDE, or wants to remove Unity, it may not be a good idea.

Good luck with 12.04, shaping up to be a nice release.
    Thank you I'll give it a try for the experience. If it doesn't work accordingly I can always still do the new install.

I appreciate your time to reply. I am looking forward to 12.04. I have enjoyed using Unity and the new release will cap it off I think.

Cheers
    Toshiba Satellite L300
    'Keeping on trying is not so trying after all'