Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: scrapbooking on linux

Beans

scrapbooking on linux

OK, call me pathetic if you like, but I am embarrassed to say I am a scrapbook addict. I use Gimp at the moment for digital scrapbooking (eg - just made a really beautiful 'collage' of my sister-in-laws wedding for a desktop picture)

but I want to know if there is a (free) linux program like 'photomix' or 'scrapbook max' on windows, these are both commercial software I have tried, but not bought (not when gimp is free!) they are good in many ways though, such as laying out all the elements in a page is very easy, with each element resizable and editable without having to keep them separated with layers, and being able to save one project with several pages.

well, if anyone knows - help me out here!!
    Last edited by cobelloy; April 10th, 2006 at 09:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: scrapbooking on linux

Have you tried Scribus? It is a desktop publishing app. It should already be installed under office applications if you are using Ubuntu. There is also a windows version.

Beans

yes - I do have scribus, I did install it as an extra a while ago to make brochures for my husband (he's a contractor) but I didn't end up using it. I had a go this morning, it seems OK but not quite what I had in mind, I wanted to find out if anyone had heard of any purpose made digital scrapbooking software for linux, or maybe even using windows scrapbook software on linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I dunno if you're still around and looking, but I'm delving into the world of digital scrapbooking and I'm using Krita... I'm not a huge fan of The GIMP because I don't like the GUI very much (I was a Photoshop user in Windows). Krita isn't perfect.... There's definately useful stuff missing and the GUI doesn't seem as ironed out as it could be and it's occasionally prone to crashing so I recommend saving often... but if you find the GIMP as frusterating as I do, it's worth a shot.
    nikkiana @ knit.geek.life

code, document, support
    no matter your ability level, you can contribute too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is Krita a program or a distrabution? If its a program, maby you could post the link or command for the terminal. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I looked in the Synaptic Package Manager and its a program.
    Code:
    Type this in the terminal:
    sudo apt-get install krita

You can also use Synaptic Package Manager and search Krita.
    Last edited by jms1989; August 15th, 2006 at 11:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@nikikana , if u're still around then try gimpshop it tries to emulate or copy photoshop way for those who like photoshop. There's also a deb package available here.
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by shirishag75 View Post
    @nikikana , if u're still around then try gimpshop it tries to emulate or copy photoshop way for those who like photoshop. There's also a deb package available here.
    That's what I'm currently using... I'm still not 100% thrilled with it, but at least I can find where stuff is in GIMPshop. I'm finding the fact that you have to have fifty bajillion little windows open to be really irritating... but what can you do?
    nikkiana @ knit.geek.life

code, document, support
    no matter your ability level, you can contribute too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cobelloy View Post
    OK, call me pathetic if you like, but I am embarrassed to say I am a scrapbook addict. I use Gimp at the moment for digital scrapbooking (eg - just made a really beautiful 'collage' of my sister-in-laws wedding for a desktop picture)

but I want to know if there is a (free) linux program like 'photomix' or 'scrapbook max' on windows, these are both commercial software I have tried, but not bought (not when gimp is free!) they are good in many ways though, such as laying out all the elements in a page is very easy, with each element resizable and editable without having to keep them separated with layers, and being able to save one project with several pages.

well, if anyone knows - help me out here!!

Did you ever find something to help your scrapbooking? I am trying to get something for my mother in law so she can scrapbook and get on the internet with a reduced fear of virus attack...

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

A multi-platform solution is the web based Scrapblog which can exist in electronic and printed form by exporting your arrangements.

Beans

I was just looking for something like this too! Then I thought to myself, "Self...how many people out there are interested in both Linux and Scrapbooking?"

I'm so glad I found a few!
    Running Feisty Fawn on a computer I built myself!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast