Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux loses 3rd position!!!!

Beans

Re: Linux loses 3rd position!!!!

I joined Ubuntu & Linux because it was popular.

O wait...

Beans

iOS4 is used on devices other than mobile phones that is why it is included.

Why they didn't include other Linux derivatives is something only the authors can answer. But the results still have validity one just has to take into account possible statistical skew due to incomplete data set.
    This account is not active.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

red_marvin

Linux is not developed as a project whose main function is being an entry in a popularity contest. Popularity is not the second or third intended function either.
    It may not be a primary goal but popularity matters. A wider user base means better software and hardware support and it means a better chance of Linux to become an OS for production rather than a hobby OS for hackers. It has come a long way and in some areas such as scientific computing Linux is almost the default, but in some other areas it is still lacking because of software supports and this has everything to do with popularity and nothing to do with Linux's capability as an OS.

So, yes, popularity and marketshare is important. Having said that I agree that article is comparing apples to oranges.

Android is used on devices other than phones, which is why it should be included. We have Android tablets as well.

So I ask again, why is Ipad counted but Android isnt? We have established that like Ipads, Android runs on tablets and dual books.

Linux seems to have an edge in the future of mobile computing due to the fact that it runs well on ARM architecture, something that Windows cant do.....mobile windows isnt as good....Mac's Iphone technology isnt terrible, but its not better than Android in my opinion.

Why are Android tablets not being counted when Ipads are?

Beans

Tosh rubbish article. Says the market share has gone down but it is including non desktop devices. If they showed actual numbers (head counts) on how many desktops and devices there are it would be more useful. Linux market share may go down, but if they including devices, there's nothing to say desktop usage hasn't gone up.

France and Italy has a HUGE linux following....most of us wouldnt know that though because they are less likely to be visiting English speaking websites (though they are more likely to be bilingual) they dont show up on polls that look at US website hits.

I really cant wrap my head around including Ipad but not Android....I have a tablet that runs Android....what about Linux based Ereaders that run linux and also access the web? Its not just phones.

Beans

Android should be counted, but it shouldn't be included with the regular desktop Linux's. The systems are totally different.

Beans

Android tablets should have been included however their impact on the result would have been negligible.

Ipad however actually altered Apples Worldwide ranking in Mobile computing therefore its inclusion is logical.
    This account is not active.

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Android should be counted, but it shouldn't be included with the regular desktop Linux's. The systems are totally different.
    Ipad shouldnt either then.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Android tablets should have been included however their impact on the result would have been negligible.
    Do you have any evidence to back that up? Do you have any hard numbers on the number of computer devices, from phones to tablets to readers, that run Android?

Android is MORE popular than the Iphone, and with the rise of cheap android tablets, it wont be long before it swallows up the Ipad market as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Ipad however actually altered Apples Worldwide ranking in Mobile computing therefore its inclusion is logical.

What does that have to do with anything? It shouldnt matter what it altered. This is a simple tally. You can manipulate the results by arbitrarily including some devices and not others.

Ipad is just a glorified Iphone without the phone, on a bigger screen. Its not a desktop computer and shouldnt be counted as such, regardless of what it affected.

Android on the other hand is running on desktops, though i would say its more geared towards phones and tablets....these tablets are not so different from the Ipad, so it takes some twisted logic to include Ipad but not Android which is more popular than Ipad.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Jinn View Post
    Ipad shouldnt either then.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Do you have any hard numbers on the number of computer devices, from phones to tablets to readers, that run Android?

Android is MORE popular than the Iphone, and with the rise of cheap android tablets, it wont be long before it swallows up the Ipad market as well.

What does that have to do with anything? It shouldnt matter what it altered. This is a simple tally. You can manipulate the results by arbitrarily including some devices and not others.

Ipad is just a glorified Iphone without the phone, on a bigger screen. Its not a desktop computer and shouldnt be counted as such, regardless of what it affected.

Android on the other hand is running on desktops, though i would say its more geared towards phones and tablets....these tablets are not so different from the Ipad, so it takes some twisted logic to include Ipad but not Android which is more popular than Ipad.
    I did not mention phones. The survey was not about phones. The inclusion of ipad, ipod was logical as they are mobile computing devices. Android Tablets should have been included but sales of those have been very very small as the number of devices available is small and of low customer appeal at this time. That I am sure will change in time when some of the big player start producing. Android tablets at this time would have added something like 0.05% to the Linux total under the terms of reference.

The figures you asked about were on CNET

First quarter 2010 results
    HP 25.3%
    Toshiba 8.4%
    Apple 7.1%
    Asus 4.6%
    Lenovo 4.0%

Second quarter 2010
    HP 25.5%
    Toshiba 8.5%
    Apple 9.0%
    Lenovo 4.9%