Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: KDE sucks. Gnome shell sucks worse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: KDE sucks. Gnome shell sucks worse.

KDE might be bloated, but there's an option for you to choose what goes on your system.

I should've known for the beginning that if I had just wanted the KDE desktop and not all of the KDE SC bundle programs, I should've picked the kdebase-workspace package instead of the full kubuntu-desktop metapackage which basically installs everything of KDE.

But if you have extra space and unlimited bandwidth (albeit rather okay but inferior speed) to spare I guess it's okay for you to filter out KDE applications you don't want.

As for GNOME 3... I can't say that I'm liking it... much. Probably it'll need more time for it to impress me though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by FlameReaper View Post

As for GNOME 3... I can't say that I'm liking it... much. Probably it'll need more time for it to impress me though.
    Give it a little time. After all, it was just released. But I think it's off to a good start.
    Last edited by wolfen69; April 10th, 2011 at 07:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm also very happy with the official release of Gnome 3, much more so than the first release of KDE4. Does gnome3 need tweaking? Of course it does. There's not a lot of customization options yet, and other issues to be worked out, but I think in the long run gnome3 will be really sweet. Now that it's officially released, I think we'll see A LOT of improvements, very quickly.

I love that I can hit the super key or slam my cursor into the left hand coner and have an expose like view. Or you can just start typing the name of the app and by the time you punch in the first 2 letters, you just hit enter to start it.

It's just a matter of time before gnome3 becomes the standard. All these people that are complaining that gnome2 is being left behind will eventually get over it and move on. And then 3-4 years later when gnome4 comes out, we get to do this all over again!

I'm dating myself by asking this, but does anyone remember REO Speedwagon's Roll with the changes ?
    Last edited by wolfen69; April 10th, 2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: because I felt like it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    I'm also very happy with the official release of Gnome 3, much more so than the first release of KDE4.
    I remember being really excited for KDE 4. Though to be honest it was not really a let down, it just did not have the 'finish' that KDE 3.5 had (at the time of course, it is great now). Gnome 3 certainly is off to a good start. I have it installed and working and it is something I am really looking forward to showing off.

It might be easy to be skeptical of the way Gnome does things. At times they lay things down hard the way they want them. I think that I am probably the perfect target demographic for Gnome's design though. I find everything is layed out just the way I want it by default. Gnome 3 even enhances my workflow further by making it easy for me to organize tasks and not just multitask like gnome 2.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: KDE sucks. Gnome shell sucks worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TriBlox6432 View Post
    This dilemma is serious enough to drive me back to Windows
    I think the same, ) don't like KDE4, Unity or Gnome-3 (and Unity doesn't work very well)

What about using LXDE (it works fine, you can configure it and convert in a gnome-2 style) or E17 (Enlightenmen. Problem: it is a 0.17 version, but it will be great!!)?
    Last edited by breo; May 7th, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Beans

I'm late on this, sorry.

While can certainly appreciate the work put into both KDE and Gnome 3, neither one has been appealing to me. If I had to make a choice, then I would pick Gnome 3 out of the two.

As suggested there are (still) lots of distros, shells, desktop managers, windows managers, etc to choose from. I'm leaning toward Arch Linux with openbox and LXDE, waiting for Ubuntu to get this worked out. Which is unfortunate as I really enjoy Ubuntu.

With that said, I've gone back to 10.10, keeping Arch Linux as a side project.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Use Xfce if you don't like it. Or fork it and develop it yourself. But if you think KDE has gone to hades, take a look at Mandriva's Rosa.
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans

I like Unity quite a lot. But I just installed Gnome Shell and I absolutely love it. I'll have to use it some more to really get a feel for it but I am confident it'll go smooth, since I had used Gnome Shell for months back when it was in alpha/beta. I stopped using it because of a small list of annoyances, all of which have been fixed with the final release. Very solid, in my opinion. And damn is it fast...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just had to get a new PC and just installed 11.04 with Unity.
    After 5 years with Ubuntu that was it for me.
    Windows is really hard to deal with, but not so hard as this.
    It really saddens me, but what is this? A Joke? I cannot laugh
    Last edited by nobbone; August 8th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TriBlox6432 View Post
    This dilemma is serious enough to drive me back to Windows

Any thoughts? What will you be doing when Gnome 3 comes out?
    Don't ever think of using Gnome 3!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast